• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: will you ever be satisfied?

Share/Bookmark

will you ever be satisfied?

Hi all, just wondering will there every be a point where you will say, ok this piano lib, is all i will ever need, its as real as i think it ever needs to be, same with strings or anyother sample?

Wink Re: will you ever be satisfied?

You clearly don't hang out here a lot.

Re: will you ever be satisfied?

Many here will disagree (particularly those into classical music), but Ivory is as good as it need be for me; short of a real acoustic piano.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I am always satisfied.

I think the search for holy grails is artistically and spiritually destructive. What really counts is how inventive one is with whatever materials are at hand.

Well said, Bruce. My sentiments exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Journeyman
    Many here will disagree (particularly those into classical music), but Ivory is as good as it need be for me; short of a real acoustic piano.
    Why is that? I am a little curious, since I consider bying Ivory for classical music.

Bruce: Then would you like to inform us how many $ it took for you to be satisfied? Or when you bought your last holy grail? Yesterday?

But you´re right of course. It´s sad, but I actully produced more music with my akai, than I do with K2.

You can achieve alot with what you already have.

/Johnny

Never satisfied... Some things have me close to satisfied though. Also - I guess it depends on price. For instance if VSL did a choir i'm sure it would rock. But I'm also pretty sure it would be too expessive* to justify its purchase since I only use choirs for maybe 10% of my tracks. Thus I would be satified with EWQLSC...

* Based on the assumption that they do a Choral Cube the same size as their orchestra.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Why is that? I am a little curious, since I consider bying Ivory for classical music.
    Nickie,

In this forum it's been my observation that those into classical piano state that Ivory isn't ambient enough or warm enough, and tend to complain about Ivory not having sympathetic string resonance or repedalling. Bear in mind that opinions are subjective, and only yours is the one that should matter to you. If you use the search link and search for both Ivory and Resonance, you can read the comments for yourself.

In the productions I play on (Pop, Rock and Jazz), these complaints don't really matter much. I find Ivory extremely satisfying to play. I also think that it's Steinway and Bosendorfer are beautiful in addition to the Yamaha. I also find that the upper octaves in the Steinberg's Akoustik are rather brittle compared to Ivory. Additionally, an upgrade will soon be released that adds a Fazioli to the collection.

My suggestion: Check out everything available and go with what inspires you. I've been burned many times by not trusting my own instincts.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    I am always satisfied.

I think the search for holy grails is artistically and spiritually destructive. What really counts is how inventive one is with whatever materials are at hand.
    Right on the money Bruce. I spend more time looking for the "inspirational preset" than actually writing. Need to break that habit

My latest Holy Grail:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/pro...08&ParentId=60

Nothing better than coming home from a bad day at work and pretending the snare is your boss' ego filled melon... (but I digress...)

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast