• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wouldn't you know it?

Share/Bookmark

Wouldn't you know it?

Here I am, in the throws of writing a bunch of avante-garde music to beef up and diversify my portfolio, and all of a sudden THIS pops in my head.

I am dedicating it to my wife, who has put up with me for 12 years. It was our anniversary on May 14.

It really isn't anything spectacular, but I love writing for these instruments. And I hope it isn't too boring.

Here it is, my Woodwind Quartet. Enjoy!!!

Jerry Wickham

GPO instruments used: Flute Solo V, Oboe Modern 2, Bb Clarinet solo, and Bassoon 2 solo.

Here is the Mp3:
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~jerrysmu...nd_Quartet.mp3

And here is the PDF score:
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~jerrysmu...nd_Quartet.pdf

MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Re: Wouldn't you know it?

What a nice surprise Jerry.

Happy Anniversary!
    Dan

Wow, great work!

I really enjoy the background and breath noise, it really adds a realistic touch!

The melody elegant, peaceful, quite calming... I love it! The harmony and the counterpoint seem to work wonderfully.

Simply put, this is beautiful! I can't stop listening. You really brought the woodwinds to life. I'm definitely gonna have to study the score!

Happy anniversary!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Truly a delightful little piece! Congratulations !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Beautiful piece, Jerry -- well written, well rendered;
    wonderfully lyrical woodwind writing in this.

And Happy Anniversary!

You surely know how to woo a gal... lol -- and yes,
    it's just as important to do so at twelve years as it
    was at day one.

David.
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Dan, Sean, Louis and David!!

THANK YOU!

Sean, you think you had a hard time to stop listening to this?, try being me this week! This had completely taken over my brain this past week. I woke up with it in my head, I went to sleep - there it was. I was humming it while at work. It is hard to work on atonal stuff when this extremely tonal and melodic stuff has taken over.

And by the way - she loved it. David, you are right - wooing is important, no matter how long, or short, you have been together.

Now, if I can only get these melodies out of my head to make room for this avante-garde stuff. I figure I HAD to give her a special gift to convince her I wasn't going insane with all this atonal stuff. <---(she is not a fan)

Thanks again for listening!

And for those of you who have not yet commented, please do - I am always looking to improve my orchestration skills. Writing for Woodwinds has intimidated me for a long time. I have been VERY comfy with strings - my first love. But we all have to grow and develop. My wife asked me, knowing my usual scoring preferences, "Why a woodwind quartet?" I told her this is how it sounded in my head and I really want to be good at writing for ALL instruments.

Something I have observed and learned: I know flutes and oboes, if not voiced properly, never work out very well together. They are dynamic opposites. Oboes cannot be quiet at their lowest register, and Flutes cannot be loud at all in theirs. Oboes get softer and sweet in their upper registers, and flutes get LOUDER and more peircing. Balancing them is a fun exercise. I am sure I have made some mistakes in that aspect, but I could spend weeks trying to perfect that balance. If this was going to be performed, published or whatnot, I might spend that time later. But I look at it as being just a nice little offering to my wife.

Jerry Wickham
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

Jerry, this is just delightful! You should be able to get any number of groups clamouring to perform this.

Hi Jerry!
    This is a wonderful piece I'm sure that your wife feels honored by it too!! Your work on the woodwinds is excellent Very Very nice!!
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry W.
    Here I am, in the throws of writing a bunch of avante-garde music to beef up and diversify my portfolio, and all of a sudden THIS pops in my head.

I am dedicating it to my wife, who has put up with me for 12 years. It was our anniversary on May 14.

It really isn't anything spectacular, but I love writing for these instruments. And I hope it isn't too boring.

Here it is, my Woodwind Quartet. Enjoy!!!

Jerry Wickham

GPO instruments used: Flute Solo V, Oboe Modern 2, Bb Clarinet solo, and Bassoon 2 solo.

Here is the Mp3:
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~jerrysmu...nd_Quartet.mp3

And here is the PDF score:
    http://www.frontiernet.net/~jerrysmu...nd_Quartet.pdf

Hi, Jerry...

Can the avantay-guarday effete 17-tone-retrograde-inversion-inverse-converse-contrapositive-pitch-class stuff and do what you do best.

You have a melodic gift that those Ivory-Tower dwelling eggheads wish they had on their best days. You reach and touch more people with one measure of your stuff than they will ever reach with their "I can write more complex and incomprehensible music than you that only we elite effete intellectual snoots can understand" rubbish.

Gee, Jim, don't suppress your feelings or anything...

I have been doing some reading recently that hypothesizes that we are at least somewhat "hard wired" for tonality and "conventional" notions of tension and release. That's why 12-tone stuff and New Age stuff are often rejected by a large segment of listeners. Interesting stuff.

Your next assignment is also a quartet: Two euphoniums, 1 tuba in F or Eb, one tuba in CC or BBb. Since we low brass players are BOTH fighters AND lovers, our music is both heroic and romantic. Any questions about ranges, etc., contact me.

You have a little time to complete this--I am so busy gigging that I have no time to do a "recital" per se. A couple people (Brasspig & Joaz) have done some things, now I have to apologize cause there can't be a recital until Feb of 07 or so and we had 2/5 personnel turnover in the quintet.

More tonality...less rubbish. You write great.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Jerry:

Great piece and an even greater reason for writing it. What I liked about it wasn't all melody. It was your rendering of the instruments that sounded very well blended. Also, the parts sounded ideal for each instrument's range--not too high or too low. It's amazing how mellow and beautiful the Bassoon sounds above Middle C.

BRAVO, Jerry.......

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast