• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Summer Overture

Houston, TX

Arrow Summer Overture

Here's a little piece I've been writing off and on since mid-March. It would have been done sooner, but I just graduated from college (finally!)!! and of course, I've been doing a lot of partying. As for the music - it may not seem it, but it's rather concrete - I didn't have any storyline or picture in mind, just an idea of what kind of sounds I wanted and the overall form...so the title doesn't mean much...just that summer is just about here. As you will hear, I didn't restrict myself to one style (I just had fun) - you might even pick up on an homage to a certain film composer in one of the louder moments in the middle.

I recommend grabing a cup of java and relax - it's 13 minutes

Summer Overture

Instr.: Pic., 2 Flutes, 2 Oboes, Eng. Horn, 2 Clarinets, Bass Clarinet, 2 Bassoons, C-Bsn., 6 Horns, 3 Trumpets, 2 Trombones, Bass Bone, Tuba, Perc.(Triangle, Tambourine, bunch'a Cymbals, Snare, Bass Drum, Timpani, Glock., Xylophone), Harp, Strings

Re: Summer Overture

This was really nice work, Josh!

A great deal of effort here! but it doesn't sound forced.. There's a smooth flow which indicates you were indeed having allot of fun playing with various ideas.

I didn't recognize the Homage that you mentioned, however I could detect similarities with Hovhaness in some areas.

I really liked this.. some nice harmonic transitions.

Great job!

Dallas, TX

It's awesome Josh, way past excellence. Do you mind if i ask where you get all your percussion toys? I need some triangles and wood blocks and stuff... and sleigh bells if they have em.

I've listened through this several times, Josh.

Masterfully well done. Adventurous and highly adept use
    of the orchestra, great control over pace, contrast and
    flow, and some just plain fascinating writing.

There's no two ways about it on this one:

With admiration,

Outstanding work. Great control over the orchestra. Bravo !
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Wonderfully well done Josh.

This piece sparkles with great vivacity. It has a rather cinematic feel at times, with lush enticing themes dramatically interupted, by insistent action elsewhere.

It captures the headlong rush of summer, tangled new growth, a teeming display of ideas being brushed aside, by new ideas, and yet somehow the whole thing coheres really well.

This is a musical area rarely explored, the only other example I could think of is the first movt of Mahler's 3rd, although your piece sounds absolutely nothing like it.

I rather enjoyed the stylistic wandering, in fact this kind of stylistic restlesness, is a style in itself. There are moments of glorious lyricism here, that are as satisfying as anything I have heard for years. The orchestration is bold and deftly handled.

I absolutely loved it.

regards Joe

Houston, TX

Jeff - at 5:40, the power of the dark side becomes evident i appreciate your time and your comments

Leaf - thanks very much! all the instruments i used were GPO, including the toys (and the toys do include sleigh bells!) thanks for listening

David - you must have had a bit of time today to listen several times! but by all means, listen 100 times if you must! it took some labor to make this sound a bit more "human" since my HP on finale is not working very well (i realize others are having problems as well)...but it's still not as human as i want it...but otherwise, this was a lot of fun to do...and how else would we be motivated to write something so large for the heck of it without GPO? as always, David, i thank you for your comments - and now that i'm done obsessing over this huge piece, i hope to be seeing you around more!

thanks everyone -> Josh

Let me add my congratulations along the same lines as Et Lux. This piece is a contemporary statement. So well done--the harmonies are glorious and the dissonances are pronounced, but not overstated. Every idea is so magnificently orchestrated.

I really loved the "pedal point" in the recapitulation section and the ending was superb.

This is definitely a keeper and such an outstanding exposure for GPO. Anyone hearing this wouldn't think it came from an inexpensive sample library like Gary prepared for us. WOW. This is really something. One of the best demos I have ever heard on this Forum and from one of the best composers too, I might add.........

Keep writing Josh.........ya got it, man.............I don't know what kind of computer you did this with, but reading your instrument list would bring mine to its knees. Great brass and such a large WW section. Awesome.......

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh

David, i thank you for your comments - and now that i'm done obsessing over this huge piece, i hope to be seeing you around more!
    I'm here in the forum every single day, actually, 365 days a year. (My
    mattress is due to be replaced, so I generally sleep here, too.) But I
    presume you mean a new piece. Very soon. I'm not done obsessing yet.

Came back for another listen on this, Josh.

(Go read Joe Cavanagh's post again, that way I don't have to repeat
    everything he said... lol.)

On this second round, with regrets over my senile redundancy, I must
    yet again, say:

My best,

This is very good writing, plenty of ideas, a lot of details, harmonic richness ( I like the polytonal episodes) and orchestration inventiveness : a delight for the ears.

My complain is that most of the time, it sounds more like a patchwork rather than a structured piece. The differents musical styles and elements need to be unified to give a clear direction to the piece.

Anyway, very good job that shows your musical knowledge and your technical command of the orchestra.

Thanks for sharing this.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast