• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Concert Band Repertoire "Grades"?

Share/Bookmark

Concert Band Repertoire "Grades"?

I used to have a list of all the rubric that make a concert band piece "Grade 5," Grade 4, Grade 3, etc. But I can't find it.

Does anybody know this information? Can you link me to it?

I'm working on a few band pieces and I'd like to know where they fit in.

Thanks,
    chris.

Re: Concert Band Repertoire "Grades"?

This would also be useful. My band director is caucious with my music since mine tends to be a level too high (probably Grade 5). I need to figure out how to make my songs into the acceptable range (Grades 3-4).
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot
    I used to have a list of all the rubric that make a concert band piece "Grade 5," Grade 4, Grade 3, etc. But I can't find it.

Thanks,
    chris.
    Chris, I know that was discussed in a thread in this area of the forum not too long back. I don't write for concert band so I don't recollect the details.

I tried a quick search for it, but no luck -- perhaps you can dig in a little and have better results.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by CallMeZoot

Thanks,
    chris.
    I don't have a rubric, but generally speaking:
    Grade 1 - Beginning band
    Grade 2 - 1-2 years of experience
    Grade 3 - Jr. High
    Grade 4 - High School
    Grade 5 - Advanced HS or college
    Grade 6 - College or professional

There are so many variables, it is hard really pinpoint a grade without carefully looking at:
    What key? How many key changes. Accidentals. Time signature. Signature and tempo changes. Style.Tonality. Level/complexity of polyphony. Doublings/voicing. Exposed solo parts. Lenght of total work. Difficulty of Rhythm. Repetition of Rhythms/material. And of course the all important range of instruments.

Your best bet would be to find a band director and have them scan it and give their opinion. Even then, it can be hard to tell by looking. Sometimes you never know until you put the piece on the stand.

If you could send me a Finale or Sibelius file I could look at it. I am a band conductor and have had several of my original pieces performed. Having submitted them for publishing, I know what publishers various criteria are.

Well I actually AM a band director myself. I have a pretty good instinct for knowing the levels of a piece, but I'm looking for the specifics.

There are some very specific rubric about key, meter, rhythmic complexity, instrumentation, etc. but I cannot find where these are listed.

Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Thanks,
    chris.

i'll try to look up the specifics, but i know that with VBODA (the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors Association), a composer submits his/her work for grading...i only know this because i've asked my band director about it, possibly for pieces i'm working on...also, grading depends also on the medium (band, orchestra, chamber strings, etc)...and grade 6 is the has the widest range, from advanced h.s. band/orchestra to professional musicians, because it it the highest (there is no grade 7/8/etc...but u probably know that )
    by the way...are you a middle/high school director, and for band/orchestra/??

Well I'm a little bit of everything, I conduct a local chamber/madrigal choir as well as a church choir, I teach instrumental music at two schools (one is a high school jazz program, another is an elementary school band and orchestra program), and I conduct a lot of theatre pit orchestras.

Next year I'll be more of a traditional high school band/orchestra director again, which will be interesting.

chris.

Finally! Something I know about!

Grade 1: Middle School Band
    Grade 2: Junior High Band
    Grade 3: High School Band
    Grade 4: Large High School Band
    Grade 5: Advanced High School/Junior College Band
    Grade 6: Major University/Professional
    Garam Heo, Contemporary Christian Artist
    Music produced by Christopher and Craig Reeves
    http://www.garamheo.com
    http://www.youtube.com/GaramHeoMusic
    SUBSCRIBE TODAY AND JOIN OUR MAILING LIST FOR A FREE MUSIC DOWNLOAD!

You can probably get the info you want by contacting the major publishers of concert band music. They have guidelines for ranges and rhythms allowed for each grade level that their composers must adhere to.

Terry

Go Back to forum