• Register
  • Help

Topic: delta 10/10 or echo layla 24?

Share/Bookmark

delta 10/10 or echo layla 24?

Ok, we\'ve talked about this before but...
    Now!! that drivers have been updated for both cards, they have been out on the market for a while, and seem stable for each,....

Which card is rock solid stable in any real working environment on a 24/7 basis. Which would you purchase to get some work done. I need serious audio, with serious midi synced perfectly. I will only consider an audio
    card that has external d/a converters and has the power itself to run 24 tracks of audio and does not have to use the cpu. I use gigasampler 1.6 and it works perfectly for me. I think gigastudio is cool, but completely not at all usable in any real work, it is a toy with serious potential if the bugs get worked out.

Which card?
    Why would you pick it, What other choices are their?

Right now, I run a midiman midisport x2 usb along with my sound blaster live, pentium III 450mhz, 2x 4gb 10000rpm cheetahs on adaptec 2940uw, asus p3b-f, 512 mb ram, nvidia tnt2 32mb, dvd-6x, dxr-3 decoder, and the system needs to be updated to one of these cards, desperately!!!

Help????!!!!!!

Re: delta 10/10 or echo layla 24?

Quoting Chilcote.9
    I need serious audio, with serious midi synced perfectly. I will only consider an audio
    card that has external d/a converters and has the power itself to run 24 tracks of audio and does not have to use the cpu.

My response
    Then I don\'t know why you are considering the 1010 or the Layla24.
    I think they are both great cards but they don\'t offer onboard DSP that you are looking for.
    As you mentioned you did not want it to use the CPU.

Since your looking for a card that doesn\'t totally rely on the CPU, maybe you should consider the Pulsar 2 card.

Re: delta 10/10 or echo layla 24?

>>>card that has external d/a converters and has the power itself to run 24 tracks of audio and does not have to use the cpu. I use gigasampler 1.6 and it works perfectly for me. I think gigastudio is cool, but completely not at all usable in any real work, it is a toy with serious potential if the bugs get worked out.<<<

One thing you should know about runing audio tracks: Regardless of soundcards or Audio-Sequencers, with 24 stereo audio tracks would uses up to 40~85% CPU/harddisk/MEM performance based-on PIII/Athlon500Mhz-256MB-RAM and Vcache=80,000. (15~35% CPU on the 1Ghz/768M@133)
    So the differences between two soundcards (GSIF/multiclient with and without DSP) are giving you more ouput channels and hardware DSP when you do the down mixing with effect-processing with or without taxing CPU. For example, NFX reverb or other FX-Plugin-Reverb is used about 10% CPU, so you will lose some CPU power with the not DSP soundcard.
    See the soundcard/hardware recommendation at Nemesy, it would gives you the idea how to choose the right soundcards that works for you. Read more on other posts about soundcards/softwares would helps. Creamware also has good GSIF soundcards, depends on your bugets from $500~$4500 (power-sampler~Scope/SP)...When you desire to purchase the Creamware product, you should read my early post about the Pulsar conclusion (search for 10 days).

It is very clear to my mind that the best GSIF one would be ran the basic Gigapiano at 80~120 voices polyphony without pops/crackes/clicks, and the GigaStudio can be reached max 160 voices in (closest) fully functional would be a faster CPU and larger RAM (1Gh-768MB@133 system about $3,000)
    Hope this helps,

Go Back to forum