• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: High tech, Corvettes, and the art of high speed cornering

Share/Bookmark

High tech, Corvettes, and the art of high speed cornering

You know, I'd swear that in the Corvette Owner's Manual, there's a section that says, "You may safely take 90 degree corners at speeds up to, but not in excess of, 60 miles per hour." However, as I discovered swinging into a parking lot yesterday at a mere 58 mph, what happens is that the car just keeps on sliding, right into the curb. Well, actually, it slides into the curb four times. Once for each wheel.

As an aside, I'd just like to say that "Run Flat Tires" rock.

You really can do 55 mph with 0 air pressure, as I discovered while driving to the dealership after terminally notching the rim on the front left tire. Yes, that would be the $800 rim. Now the interesting thing of it is, I slid into the curb right side first. How the two tires on the right survived (okay, admittedly the sides of the rims have looked better) and I killed the front left is a mystery.

An even greater mystery was my Vette dutifully telling me, "Right front tire flat." I figured they must have sold me a left handed Corvette, but as it turns out when I recently had new tires installed (and you really don't want to know what RFTs cost to replace) they switched the wheels. Well, at least that's one mystery solved.

All in all, it was a rather enlightening day. The problem with Active Handling, Traction Control, and all that other high tech stuff is that it makes you feel like your Vette is invincible. You don't realize it's not until you're pushing just a little too hard in an out of control sideways skid and you see the little dashboard marquee menu light up with the words,

"I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that."

Great. Now you tell me...

I'll be hitting Google this week looking for computer hacks for the menu system of the Vette. If I'm going to continue to try stupid things that the car knows good and well that it can't do, I figure it should at least be a bit more verbose about getting the message across to me. Perhaps I should integrate the messages into the heads up display...

And in case you were wondering, this is why I don't own a motorcycle.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: High tech, Corvettes, and the art of high speed cornering

Sounds a bit more exciting than my recent experience of turning left 120 degrees onto the highway and dropping a motor mount from my Honda, causing the right front of the engine to drop, shearing some transmission mounting bolts and popping the axle free.

90 degree turns at about 50 used to be a fun thing for me with a 1951 Dodge pickup, with stick shift, but I don't do such things any more. Probably because now I am driving my own car instead of a company pickup! I suppose it is possible that the passing of more than 50 years contributes to my reluctance to try that trick now!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    And THATS why you should always stick with mustangs... the REAL mans muscle car.

Tom
    You mean the car that all the wives drive?
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx
    You mean the car that all the wives drive?
    Thank you sooo much for that. I didn't want to be the guy to use the phrase, "chick car."
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    And THATS why you should always stick with mustangs... the REAL mans muscle car.

Tom
    Trust me, had you pulled this stunt in a 'stang, it would have rolled.

Of course, people who drive Mustangs also tend to have more common sense than I do...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    I suppose it is possible that the passing of more than 50 years contributes to my reluctance to try that trick now!

Richard
    Well, since I'm two years shy of the half century mark that probably explains my "young & foolish" nature.

Actually, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up...
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Christopher! I'm so happy that you SURVIVED! I know how you can still have all of the fun with a little less risk...buy something with QUATTRO!

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    Christopher! I'm so happy that you SURVIVED! I know how you can still have all of the fun with a little less risk...buy something with QUATTRO!
    Quattro Pro?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Quattro Pro?

Richard
    well, actually I was thinking more of the German-engineered all-wheel-drive variety

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro
    well, actually I was thinking more of the German-engineered all-wheel-drive variety
    Well, I just could not resist that silly post of mine!

Richard

Go Back to forum