• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sorry to do this but...Orchestral library suggestions?

Share/Bookmark

Sorry to do this but...Orchestral library suggestions?

I know the topic of "best" orchestra is a tired one on this site - unfortunately, those of us asking are usually fairly new to this whole thing. I've been using GPO for the last year or so, and enjoying it. I've been composing for short films (and am doing a feature in the next month), so I've been wanting to up the ante of my orchestral pallete.

I've done a lot of searching on this site for opinions. I've listened to demos. But, seeing as how this is a fairly "big" investment for a poor guy like me, I'm hoping for friendly opinions.

It boils down to this: I am considering buying Kontakt 2 and getting the Kirk Hunter Emerald. I've heard a lot of good things about KHSO Emerald (but some scary things about Kontakt 2). But, for this price (around $550-600) I could save a little extra (okay about twice as much) and get the Vienna Opus bundle (played in EXS 24) or East West Gold. There is also Peter Siedlezak's retread of AO and Miroslav's "new" library. Of course, there is Sonic Implants - but its a little out of price range.

Opinions for a poor guy like me? Thanks alot!!

Josh

Re: Sorry to do this but...Orchestral library suggestions?

I would go for KHSO Emerald! The Kontakt 2.1 update fixes some issues and brings some cool features. Emerald is the best bang for the buck at this time. You could complement it with ProjectSAM True Strike for percussion. I think the possibilities Kontakt has are endless if you want to tweak your samples, and the newest scripts are awesome (Big Bob's SIPS, for example).

Of course, this is going to be a personal decision, so...

I hope to have helped a bit (maybe you're more hesitant now)
    -Dani-

I was writing my response, while Tom was too. Very similar respones

KH Emerald..... Two points!
    -Dani-

I'm in a very similar situation having started a year ago with GPO and while being initially happy with most of it (solo strings are the biggest weakness), I now find it's time to spread my wings. I'm also considering KH, partly on the basis of the demos, some of which are very impressive, but also the many options that allow you to choose for instance either mod wheel or velocity for voluime should give maximum compatibility with past projects. Kontakt 2 may even give GPO a new lease of life! It's of course also possible that GPOA will give GPO a big new lease of life but we have (as far as I'm aware) little idea of what will be in it, when it will be released and how much it will cost at this stage.

KH Emerald!

KHSO Emerald - by the way, ever hear of forum SEARCH? This topic has been used and abused a hundred times before. A simple search would have net you all the answers you would ever need.

Mike

A search would never have given him a thread where everyone unanimously vouches for KH's Emerald. Quite remarkable.

Regarding other choices I would say that Gold is good bang for the buck, and VSL's Opus is also quite a force (which to get is a matter of taste). Neither would require you do get K2 (although you could).

Another vote for KH. New libs come out, new versions of them come out and prices drop which makes this question pretty pertinent every few months i'd think.

steve

Thanks for the votes, everyone. I appreciate it!

Currently, (for anyone who buys or already has Khso Emerald) you can get some bonus 24 Violins instruments and samples (Kontakt 2.1 version only).
    These are designed to preview just a few of the features of the upcoming Khso Ruby. These particular instruments and samples showcase the great control of the hall samples (hall amount, hall size, early reflection). You also get some runs too! Once you've extracted the .zip file, put everything that's INSIDE the "AddTo24ViolinsFolder" folder into your existing "24Violins" folder.

Download them at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/Add...linsFolder.zip

Don't forget to get the skins at http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/Skins.zip

Kirk,

Do you have any estimated time frame (even on the order of summer, fall, winter) that Ruby is going to be available?

Looking forward to that.

steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast