• Register
  • Help

Topic: Cat Stevens bass sound

Share/Bookmark

Cat Stevens bass sound

I wish I had a bass sample patch that would replicate the bass sound on his 'Tea For The Tillerman' record, especially the song - Wild World (search it out for a listen). Sounds like an upright, but maybe elec. upright, big & growly.

Anyone with any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,

R

Re: Cat Stevens bass sound

Paul Samwell-Smith, remember him?! Gorgeous stuff! Now where are samples like that bass?!

I haven't heard that album in forever, but I'm thinking the acoustic/electric bass in Bela D's Studio B collection might be a strong contender...

Yeah, that's certainly going in the right direction. I actually trieda bass once that was just the fingerboard of an upright on a stand, elec. of course, but it sounded incredible! It didn't take much to get that growl going. Too bad I'm not a fretless player, it was tempting.

I must keep looking!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Larry Seyer's acoustic bass is by far the most detailed sample out there at present. I don't particularly get into the "fooling people" game, but I can't tell you how many people have been fooled by that one. If you use the GigaStudio platform (or have plans to pick up GVI) it is a fantastic investment. It takes EQ very well, and in particular, you can get fine results with Waves's Trans-X plugin (transient manipulation) to completely change the character of attack and where the instrument slots into the overall mix.

Thanks, Bruce.
    Larry's bass is gorgeous! By the demo, I can see how one would not give a thought to it being a live bass player!
    But, alas, I do not use Giga. I'm using Kontakt.

R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B
    Thanks, Bruce.
    Larry's bass is gorgeous! By the demo, I can see how one would not give a thought to it being a live bass player!
    But, alas, I do not use Giga. I'm using Kontakt.

R
    I use larry Seyers bass in Kontakt. It converts, maybe not perfectly but as I don't have giga to compare I can't say. It's a fine sample set and I use it a lot!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

In theory, it should convert with no problems at all. The programming functions used are Giga 1.0 functions, for the most part, so they should be more than well covered.

A very good example of a library that has been around for a LONG time and still is in the best of the best category!

Go Back to forum