• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX Questions

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX Questions

Hi,

New forum member and new RMX user here. Really getting into the product - it's quite a beast! Even though I'm not used to working with loops (sorry - 'grooves') at all I'm finding it pretty intuitive to use and get something going that has much more of a 'feel' than anything I've been able to produce as quickly using a pattern sequencer. It's a very well thought out app and seems rock solid too!

I must admit that I found the 'core library' next to useless for my needs. Everything in there is too 'processed' sounding for me. Maybe I'll get some use out of it in the future but I wish there was more basic acoustic kit type stuff in there. In the meantime I've bought backbeat and some of the stuff from Drums on Demand, both of which have sorted me out nicely.

Anyway, I've been through most of the tutorial vids and just had a few questions...

1. Edit Groups
    This is all pretty understandable after watching the tutorial vids and I've been setting up my own custom groups etc. One thing that was confusing me at first though is that edit groups are per part rather than shared across the whole instrument. Is there no way to share edit group settings (and consequently an fx rack) across slices in different parts? Is the only way I can apply one set of fx to slices in different parts to route different edit groups to the same output and apply fx outside of Stylus?

2. FX
    I'm presuming there's no way to use the FX outside of stylus? I know it would be a PITA to make an AU of every single effect, but It would be really nice if there was an AU that acted as a stylus FX rack, that way I could mix and match the RMX plugs with the stuff I normally use. The distortion, filtering, and dynamics stuff particularly sound great but I'd really like the flexibility of using my own EQs etc at various points in the signal path. It's a crying shame to have all these great processors available but not to be able to use them elsewhere from my DAW!

3. Favourites
    The way of managing favourites is quite limited at the moment, ie no way to delete elements, merge suites etc. The documentation warns against buggering around with favourites from the desktop but I wondered if there were any hacks that worked...

4. CPU
    When viewing the 'system performance' meter in Logic it seems as if Stylus is only using one of my machine's two CPUs. Is this correct?

thx

Re: Stylus RMX Questions

Quote Originally Posted by muleskinner
    Hi,

New forum member and new RMX user here. Really getting into the product - it's quite a beast! Even though I'm not used to working with loops (sorry - 'grooves') at all I'm finding it pretty intuitive to use and get something going that has much more of a 'feel' than anything I've been able to produce as quickly using a pattern sequencer. It's a very well thought out app and seems rock solid too!
    Cool....glad you are digging it! :-)

I must admit that I found the 'core library' next to useless for my needs. Everything in there is too 'processed' sounding for me. Maybe I'll get some use out of it in the future but I wish there was more basic acoustic kit type stuff in there.
    Remember....RMX stands for "Remix".

That's really what we designed Stylus for. It can also be used in many other styles, but the primary focus is remix oriented.

In the meantime I've bought backbeat and some of the stuff from Drums on Demand, both of which have sorted me out nicely.
    Good. You should check out Retro Funk and Liquid Grooves too....I'm sure you'd really like them. Retro Funk in particular is like Backbeat, but much dryer. It can be used in many different style other than Funk.

Anyway, I've been through most of the tutorial vids and just had a few questions...

1. Edit Groups
    This is all pretty understandable after watching the tutorial vids and I've been setting up my own custom groups etc. One thing that was confusing me at first though is that edit groups are per part rather than shared across the whole instrument. Is there no way to share edit group settings (and consequently an fx rack) across slices in different parts? Is the only way I can apply one set of fx to slices in different parts to route different edit groups to the same output and apply fx outside of Stylus?
    A simple way to accomplish what you want to do is to use the Aux racks, which are shared between all 8 parts. Each Edit group has individually controllable send levels for all four Aux racks.

2. FX
    I'm presuming there's no way to use the FX outside of stylus?
    That's correct.

I know it would be a PITA to make an AU of every single effect, but It would be really nice if there was an AU that acted as a stylus FX rack, that way I could mix and match the RMX plugs with the stuff I normally use. The distortion, filtering, and dynamics stuff particularly sound great but I'd really like the flexibility of using my own EQs etc at various points in the signal path. It's a crying shame to have all these great processors available but not to be able to use them elsewhere from my DAW!
    Don't count on it. The effects rack alone would be far more expensive as a separate product and we have no plans to do this.

The effects rack is an integral part of the identity and "sound" of Spectrasonics instruments and will only be made available exclusively within our instruments.

However, the effects rack has already grown since the 1.0 release and there are many plans on expanding it further into the future. By keeping them exclusive to the instruments, we can build the rack and collaborate with the best fx designers in the world without the problem of competing with their own products.

This topic has been covered extensively on the forum too. I realize everyone would love to have all these FX instantly available, but our design philosophy is a little different regarding the FX than what some companies do.

There's no shortage of cool sounding plug-ins out there for audio track processing - literally thousands now. We are just more interested in building an exclusive and evolving custom collection for signal processing within our own instruments.

By keeping our FX rack exclusive to our instruments, we are able to make it much more powerful and extensive than if we allowed audio routing through the effects.

3. Favourites
    The way of managing favourites is quite limited at the moment, ie no way to delete elements, merge suites etc. The documentation warns against buggering around with favourites from the desktop but I wondered if there were any hacks that worked...
    Careful. It's easy to mess up your work that way.

We do plan to improve favorites management in the future, but nothing has been announced in terms of features or timetable.

Thanks for your feedback.

4. CPU
    When viewing the 'system performance' meter in Logic it seems as if Stylus is only using one of my machine's two CPUs. Is this correct?

thx
    Yes....that's true of all plug-ins. A single plug-in can only be assigned to a single CPU in Logic - which then dynamically assigns them with multiple plugs.

spectrum

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    Yes....that's true of all plug-ins. A single plug-in can only be assigned to a single CPU in Logic - which then dynamically assigns them with multiple plugs.

spectrum
    Is there a way for the user to designate which CPU is being used? I'd like to better balance my CPU between my two processors if at all possible.

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum
    We do plan to improve favorites management in the future, but nothing has been announced in terms of features or timetable.
    spectrum
    That's great to hear.
    Pretty much every other aspect of RMX is very flexible and a pleasure to work with. The favorites management is so limited and awkward though that I don't even bother with it anymore. Still, RMX has to be one of the best investments I've made in my studio. I can't wait to see what comes out of Spectrasonics next!
    Dane Hawkes DiAnda
    C. I. Studios

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Is there a way for the user to designate which CPU is being used? I'd like to better balance my CPU between my two processors if at all possible.
    Yes...there are some tricks to do this.

Check out the Logic Users Group for info on how to accomplish this.

A simple way to accomplish what you want to do is to use the Aux racks, which are shared between all 8 parts. Each Edit group has individually controllable send levels for all four Aux racks.
    Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for your response. I think I've figured out the aux send levels for edit groups now - I think this could do with a bit better coverage in the manual which as far as I can tell tells you you can do this but doesn't actually tell you how. I remember it being covered somewhere on the tutorial vids but couldn't remember where!

As far as I can tell the aux send level on the edit group FX page controls the level of send for that edit group, this is then controlled in turn by the send level for that part on the mixer page (so if this is at zero the send for the edit group will not do anything).

I can see how this makes logical sense but it doesn't really achieve what I want for two reasons:

1. The send FX for an edit group are always output to the main outputs for the part, rather than the selected output for the edit group in question.

2. Sends are always 'post' level faders, ie I can't (as far as I can tell) route all edit groups to a particular aux and have the aux signal 100% wet. What I'm trying to do would be the equivalent of setting the track faders to 'no output' in Logic so I just hear the signal routed through the aux and not the dry signal.

The effects rack is an integral part of the identity and "sound" of Spectrasonics instruments and will only be made available exclusively within our instruments.
    Shame! I can kind of see the commercial reasons for doing this, but it doesn't stop it being any the less gutting I'm just gagging to try those FX on other audio tracks and it would add so much flexibility to the product as a whole!

I suppose the option of having a part accept audio input from a sidechain as a kind of 'halfway' solution would be out too?

Excellent - look forward to that!

A single plug-in can only be assigned to a single CPU in Logic
    Again, this is where the ability to split the FX into different plug-in instances would help performance I guess! OK, I'll stop banging on about that now, you must have heard it all before anyway

Thanks again for your responses - looking forward to delving deeper into the product...

Quote Originally Posted by muleskinner
    Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for your response. I think I've figured out the aux send levels for edit groups now - I think this could do with a bit better coverage in the manual which as far as I can tell tells you you can do this but doesn't actually tell you how. I remember it being covered somewhere on the tutorial vids but couldn't remember where!
    In the FX tutorial. It's also covered extensively in the Reference Guide in the FX section about how Auxes work. It's also covered in the Edit Groups chapter.

As far as I can tell the aux send level on the edit group FX page controls the level of send for that edit group, this is then controlled in turn by the send level for that part on the mixer page (so if this is at zero the send for the edit group will not do anything).
    Correct.

I can see how this makes logical sense but it doesn't really achieve what I want for two reasons:

1. The send FX for an edit group are always output to the main outputs for the part, rather than the selected output for the edit group in question.
    Aux FX returns on output A

2. Sends are always 'post' level faders,
    Correct.

ie I can't (as far as I can tell) route all edit groups to a particular aux and have the aux signal 100% wet. What I'm trying to do would be the equivalent of setting the track faders to 'no output' in Logic so I just hear the signal routed through the aux and not the dry signal.
    You can do this by sending the Edit Group and Part out of a different output than A and then monitoring the A (Main) outputs as a wet effect return only.

That should accomplish what you want to do.

I suppose the option of having a part accept audio input from a sidechain as a kind of 'halfway' solution would be out too?
    Yep....been requested many times, but for the reasons I mentioned would be far to limiting to our development process. It would make the instrument way too expensive and not allow us to work with the best DSP developers around the world on our evolving rack.

Again, this is where the ability to split the FX into different plug-in instances would help performance I guess! OK, I'll stop banging on about that now, you must have heard it all before anyway
    Yeah...but it's getting moot with the Intel processors massive speed increase. There's plenty of FX plug-ins in Logic and on the market that do similar tricks to the ones in RMX. There's certainly no shortage of options.

Thanks again for your responses - looking forward to delving deeper into the product...
    You're welcome! :-)

spectrum

I have two stupid questions:

1. Does RMX always run at the BPM of the host?

2. Since RMX doesn't appear to have a pattern sequencer of it's own I guess loops and grooves from single hits are built with MIDI in the sequencer of the host?

Quote Originally Posted by Stagwall
    1. Does RMX always run at the BPM of the host?
    Yes - additionaly grooves can run in double- or half-time

Quote Originally Posted by Stagwall
    2. Since RMX doesn't appear to have a pattern sequencer of it's own I guess loops and grooves from single hits are built with MIDI in the sequencer of the host?
    Yes

When creating a drum track in kit mode using Cubase SX2, everything sounds fine during recording. However, during playback all the notes have been doubled. The key editor shows an additional instance of each note even though I didn't play it that way. This only happens with the Stylus RMX module. Any thoughts?

Go Back to forum