• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Lesson 1 Discussion

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 1 Discussion

Use this thread to ask questions and comment relating to Lesson 1.

Feel free to start other threads if you want to focus on particular topics or if you are having technical issues.

Remember, Lesson 1 and 2 is merely an overview of the instruments of the orchestra. The Interactive scores and Exercises will begin in Lesson 3.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Gary Garritan

Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

No questions so far. Only congratulations Very clear presentation.

Much more interesting with graphics, examples and up to date comments than attempting to just read the original text. I think those who have not previously explored the orchestra site you mention at the bottom of this lesson are in for an extended treat.
    I have vowed to read each lesson at least two or three times. Only wish I could save the entire thing as it stands, examples and all. Could be there will be a CD offering of the whole work at the end of the course - almost obligatory for its scope, purpose and value.

Many thanks to all who make it happen. We're rollin!

tony hartmann

Thumbs up Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

Entertaining and enlightening.

I particularly enjoyed the comments of the modern-day professors at the end. All the caveats that were entering my mind when reading the main text were eloquently addressed by them.

Superb work by everyone involved.

regards Joe

Yes, the "professor" section was the most interesting part for me. I look forward to more of their comments in the upcoming lessons.

Best,
    Jay

"Whenever a group of strings is written for more than five parts-without taking double notes or chords into consideration-these parts may be increased by dividing each one into two, three and four sections, or even more (divisi). ....."

Anybody care to paraphrase this? I'm kind of bouncing off it. The introductory phrase seems convoluted.

Anyway, great lesson, great contributions by the profs, etc.

Carl

I notice you are using jpg format for the illustrations. The jpg compression algorithm was designed for natural images (photographs) not drawings. If you used png format instead the images would be clearer *and* use less disk space.

Quote Originally Posted by carlmsmith
    "Whenever a group of strings is written for more than five parts-without taking double notes or chords into consideration-these parts may be increased by dividing each one into two, three and four sections, or even more (divisi). ....."

Anybody care to paraphrase this? I'm kind of bouncing off it. The introductory phrase seems convoluted.

Anyway, great lesson, great contributions by the profs, etc.

Carl
    Hi Carl,
    There are normally five string sections.
    A string instrument can play one or two notes at a time (usually called "double-stopping"). 3 and 4 notes are possible by dragging the bow, usually from lowest to highest.
    Each section of strings (eg. Violin I) can be subdivided into separate parts (divisi).
    If Violin I are required to play two notes at the same time, they can be played by double-stopping (provided they are technically feasable), or by dividing 1st violins into 2 sections, each one playing one of the notes.
    I hope that's clear?

I'll go through this when I get home. Thank you very much Gary! You have managed to make it VERY readable!

I'm going to copy and paste the course into my word processor and print it out to put into a binder. It'll be a great reference.

Thanks again!

Koolkeys

I might get criticized for this comment - but what are the odds we could get a printable version of this with more resolution to the graphics? Sometimes it's just way easier to study a staff of music on printed paper instead of screen

Go Back to forum