• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Topic: Lesson 1 Discussion

Share/Bookmark

Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

The grammar example quoted above re. violin sections could be slightly more coherent, and I wasn't sure what 'desks' were either. Besides those very minor quibbles, it looks as though this is going to be a brilliant - and incredibly generous - course.

I Like the ide of having the interactive videos and score examples so we can hear what is being explained. It was a little disconcerting at first to see a 'real' orchestra but hear sampled sounds - but I appreciate that's the only way you could accentuate the different sounds of each section for the examples.

Thumbs up Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

Yes those vids are awesome! I keep clicking on the video of Double Basses over and over again and can't seem to stop, I have listened to it like 30 tmes or more.

I should move on and finish up Woodwinds, they alread have lessons 2&3 posted, but something about those Basses.

Acually the position of the orchestra , is completely wrong for Opera which is what I compose , because the orchestra must leave the center of the harmonic bridge open for the voices , coereografy combines colors and placement to obtain finely designed tones from the human voice on stage ....

I can see that I have been lucky to have had such a gut teacher , me

Quote Originally Posted by www.johnjewel.com
    Acually the position of the orchestra , is completely wrong for Opera which is what I compose , because the orchestra must leave the center of the harmonic bridge open for the voices , coereografy combines colors and placement to obtain finely designed tones from the human voice on stage ....
    It is mentioned below the seating chart illustration that "positions may vary depending on the work,the venue the orchestra and other factors". There is no absolute right or wrong seating positions and they can vary considerably.

Gary Garritan

In opera it was like

basses harp perc drums cymble timbale

bassons brass

violins viola cello

me ok ?

Quote Originally Posted by www.johnjewel.com
    It is mentioned below the seating chart illustration that "positions may vary depending on the work,the venue the orchestra and other factors".

There are no absolutes when it comes to seating and it's relative to the orchestra, the venue, the work being performed, the conductor's preferences and other considerations. The Philharmonia site provides some examples of different seating charts showing a variety of seating positions.
    http://www.mti.dmu.ac.uk/%7Eahugill/manual/seating.html - scroll to bottom to see various positions.

Gary Garritan

cool ... site , yeah I have a completely bias opinion since I learned ( by myself ) dureing the ten years I sang in the Romanina Natiopnal Choir , and then in Moldova the orchestra oit was always wrong ( for my taste ) since they had things a little bass backwards...
    anyway here is the latest thing from my opera , tomorrow I will sing , but you can hear the baratons aria at

http://www.johnjewel.com/opera.html

At the bottom of the page in lesson 1 where it has the tutorials links, the third one,
    "Master Class GPO STRINGS Tutorial - by R. Davis"
    is not working.

hi nice job gary.....tnx ...i was just wondering if "multiple stops" (in my case 2 notes) can be used in fast parts or it's better "divisi"? tnx

Question What should I memorize???

There is a lot of information given in the tables in this.. I would like to know whether I should be spending days memorizing the numbers and note ranges in them or should I just refer back to them as I continue through the sections?

for example should I memorize the table of sizes of different sections for different size orchestras (ex. under strings you have small medium large violin viola etc)? Should I memorize Table A & B that show the different ranges for the different instruments, where the different regions begin and end to the exact note and what notes are on which string??

Same question goes for the similar part of section 2.

If the answer is yes, then a second question, do I need to have those memorized in order to move on to section 3 or can I be memorizing them as I'm going through the course??

Thanks

Go Back to forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast