• Register
  • Help
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Topic: Lesson 1 Discussion

Share/Bookmark

Re: Pit Orchestra Instrumentation

Well, I tend to think someone with more experience in orchestral conducting would be better suited to answer this. (Petr? Andy Brick?) I would also say it depends on how you're using the synths: a synthesized violin section doubled by 2 or 3 real violins on the same part can sound an awful lot like a whole section of real violins, AFAIK. Beyond about 3 or 4 violins, increasing the number of instruments on the same part does more toward increasing the "sound mass" than changing the timbre, and a synth could do the same thing in terms of mass, while the real violins add that timbre that only a real violin can so far give. I think the numbers would be similar for violas and celli; I'm not sure about basses.
    Marnen E. Laibow-Koser
    Composer / Web developer
    http://www.marnen.org

Re: Pit Orchestra Instrumentation

Quote Originally Posted by marnen
    ...a synthesized violin section doubled by 2 or 3 real violins on the same part can sound an awful lot like a whole section of real violins, AFAIK. Beyond about 3 or 4 violins, increasing the number of instruments on the same part does more toward increasing the "sound mass" than changing the timbre, and a synth could do the same thing in terms of mass, while the real violins add that timbre that only a real violin can so far give. I think the numbers would be similar for violas and celli; I'm not sure about basses.
    Thanks! This gives me an idea of where to start.
    "The above remarks must not be taken as pointing backwards to the bad old days when viola players were selected merely because they were too wicked or too senile to play the violin. Those days are happily gone forever." [-Cecil Forsyth on "The Viola," Orchestration]

Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

Okay, so ... stupid question.

In lesson 1, the very first video ("example of violins playing in an orchestra"), could someone identify the piece being played, for me?

Much appreciated.

-j

Re: Lesson 1 Discussion

I think that the tables with ranges (i.e. Table B Wind Group) would make great posters! Is there any chance the creator could share a version with higher resolution graphics? I'd like to put a copy up on my wall (assuming I'm granted permission).

Go Back to forum