• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: DOS batch file question

OT: DOS batch file question

I can't remember how to do this - I'm running VStack on a laptop to run the NI B4 along with several other VSTi's - GPO, Korg Wavestation, etc. In order to run it, I need to have the B4 Buddy app launch first, then runthe "filename.cpr" that is the VStack preset.

In theory, All I need is a .BAT file with 2 commands
    "B4 Buddy"

but of course, this way, the B4 Buddy launches and the BAT exits without running V-Stack.If i issue "CALLB4 Buddy, that app runs, but the BAt stays suspended till I exit B4 Buddy, THEN calls V-Stack.

What's the command to launch an app ad immediately return to run the next command?
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: OT: DOS batch file question

Try "start B4 Buddy"

Thanks, Dan. I'll try it, though that's not how i rememebr it (and the last time I actually WROTE complex BAT files was DOS 3.1!)

Dan, the line with 'start xxx' gets ignored, just the following line ran. Any other ideas? I've done this a hundred times, but the command may no longer work, I thought it was 'run prog.exe' maybe it's a pipe thing? progtostart2nd>prog1 or prog2 | prog 1? I don't want to hose the OS to find out...

What Dan told you should work, but if there are spaces in the command that you have after start you should include quotes around it, for example

start B4 Buddy

would not work but

start "B4 Buddy"

Man oh man- yeah, there is some syntax to break out and return, but my involvement with DOS is decades and lots of Captain Morgan ago. You need to get on a geekier forum for this one

it is the 'start' word that is not recognised. The B4 Buddy call is in quotes, as is the second calll because the directory names have spaces as well. That wasn't the issue. This is S1, NOT SP2, could that be the difference? If I call both commands with 'start' nothing happens - back to DOS prompt. Thanks, guys, I guess I'll try MS <eeek...>

And having done that, I find this:
    START ["title"] [/Dpath] [/I] [/MIN] [/MAX] [/SEPARATE | /SHARED]
    [/WAIT] [/B] [command/program]
    o it is trying to open a window with the title "C:\path_etc\b4 buddy" instead of starting the app...

So if I read the help correctly, I just need to add a dummy "window_title" before the command. And I just tried it and it works.

Ain't DOS grand...

Thanks for the help, guys.

Don't know who is b4buddy? but to open an apllication with a *.bat file created in notepad here are examples I tested (copy the two lines):

1. to open b4:
    cd c:\Program Files\Native Instruments\B4\
    start b4

2.to open cubase:
    cd C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\
    start Cubasesx3

3.to open cubase and a file testaudio in my E:\ disk:
    cd C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\
    start Cubasesx3 E:\0. Temp\Audio\TestAudio.cpr

Hope it help you
    Best regards

Dup is right in what he said but there is an important detail:
    When writing batch files in Windows don't use spaces in command names or parameters.
    If there are spaces in one of them surround them in quotes.
    Spaces are token separator between commands and parameters.
    You can try it from the command prompt before writing the batch file.
    Go to Start menu, then run and type cmd and press enter.
    You should see the command prompt window.

What I think is confusing in you case is the fact that if you type:

start "C:\path_etc\b4 buddy"

you would see a new command prompt window in "C:\path_etc\b4 buddy"
    This is because you specified a directory as a parameter and it would simply start a new command prompt in that directory.
    You should put the full path to your .exe file, that is your application.
    It should be something like:

start "C:\path_etc\b4 buddy\B4 Buddy.exe"

If you also want to open a file with your application at the same time (second command in your case) you can do one of two things:
    - use just the project file name and rely on the fact that windows application association will start Cubase for .cpr file
    - start Cubase with the project file name as a parameter

First one is something like:

start "C:\path_toFile\filename.cpr"

Second would be:

start "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\Cubasesx3.exe" "C:\path_toFile\filename.cpr"

If one of the paths doesn't have spaces in it it is redundant to use quotes but they do no harm either.

If you need to be in the project directory to be able to use it add a:

cd "C:\path_toFile"

before starting Cubase and in that case you don't need the full path for the project.
    If the project is on a diferent drive you have to change the drive first and it would look like this:

cd "E:\path_toFile"
    start "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\Cubasesx3.exe" filename.cpr

Hope it helps,

I just checked what I said before and I know what's the problem:

The first argument in quotes is interpreted as the title name so if your program has spaces in the path you need to add an extra first parameter in quotes as the window title name.
    It can be anything, like this:

start "B4" "C:\path_etc\b4 buddy\B4 Buddy.exe"
    start "Cubase" "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase SX 3\Cubasesx3.exe" "C:\path_toFile\filename.cpr"

Go Back to forum