• Register
  • Help

Topic: Lesson 2 Discussion

Share/Bookmark

Lesson 2 Discussion

Use this thread to ask questions and comment relating to Lesson 2.

Feel free to start other threads if you want to focus on particular topics in the text.

Remember, Lesson 1 and 2 is merely an overview of the instruments of the orchestra. The Interactive scores and Exercises will start in the next lesson.

I am looking forward to your comments.

Gary Garritan

Re: Lesson 2 Discussion

An apostrophe does not denote a plural!

Pairs, threes, fours etc - not 'pair's'!

Besides some basic grammar balls-ups, the course continues to be excellent.

Professo Birick's comments to Lesson 2 have been appended to the end of the text. I urge you all to read Andy's amplifications.

Gary Garritan

I have a question regarding the graphics used to show instrument combinations and some of the descriptors:

Under the header: Comparison of resonance in orchestral groups and combination of different tone qualities

It states '...combination will absorb one department of added strings" I assume a 'department' refers to the section, as in Violins I? What do they mean by 'added'? Is this to mean 'in addition to', or 'combined with'?
    Also, in the example of woodwinds in combination with one dept. of strings, for example, Violins I is followed by a graphic showing 3 violins.

In the second example, strings in combniation with solo wind, the Violins I are followed by a graphic showing only 2 violins.

Am I reading to much into this, or what is meant by the graphic in this
    case?

Thanks a lot, enjoying the course tremendously!

Humbly,

Adrian

Hi,

"Department" refers to all of violin I or all of violin II.

"Added" refers to doubling.

Also, disregard the violin graphic. Violin I refers to the whole section or "department."

Hope this helps.

Gary

Brilliant, thanks Gary.

Unhappy Re: Lesson 2 Discussion

Hi Gary
    Not really specific to lesson 2 , just a general question : is there a way to download the audio mp3 examples ? I can't hear
    examples in real time for now.
    Thanks
    Alain

Hello everybody!

I am very intrigued with the Harp. Rimsky-Korsakov mensions, that "A chromatic harp without pedals has now been invented in France (Lyon’s system) on which the most abrupt modulations are possible"

Is this harp, that is mentioned, in wide use today, or do the older precautions conerning the harp and its 7 pedals and diatonics and whatnot still apply?

Thank you in advance.

The standard orchestral harp of today is NOT chromatic. You must plan the pedal changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkemist
    Hello everybody!

I am very intrigued with the Harp. Rimsky-Korsakov mensions, that "A chromatic harp without pedals has now been invented in France (Lyon’s system) on which the most abrupt modulations are possible"

Is this harp, that is mentioned, in wide use today, or do the older precautions conerning the harp and its 7 pedals and diatonics and whatnot still apply?

Thank you in advance.
    Alan Belkin, composer
    Professor of Composition
    University of Montreal

http://www.musique.umontreal.ca/pers...n/e.index.html (links to examples of my music, as well as my online textbooks)

Oh thank you for share this information , i had a great problems but i know this tips will help me alot please keep posting.........
    2d Animation in Pakistan | Character Animation

Go Back to forum