• Register
  • Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Topic: Seating Positions of the Orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Re: Seating Positions of the Orchestra

Regarding percussion: when the diagram designates a number - "5 percussion" or whatever - is that referring to the number of instruments or the number of players?

Quote Originally Posted by greatgreybeast
    Regarding percussion: when the diagram designates a number - "5 percussion" or whatever - is that referring to the number of instruments or the number of players?
    Usually it refers to the number of players as percussionists often play a variety of percussion instruments.

[QUOTE=Garritan]In the Lesson 1 Dicussion thread, someone brought up the topic of orchestral position.

Thanks Gary. I'm glad I've spotted this. I decided to take a closer look at the panning in some of the stuff I'm working on - and it's all over the place!! Ensemble horns (for instance) on one side of the stage and a player (solo)sample on completely the opposite side! I looked at Finale (2005) and I had 'automatic panning' checked. I've taken this off so that I can manually override or at least use the GPO defaults. The charts will help me decide where to position everyone if I need to fine tune.

Graham

Orchestra Mic/Set Up Question

What experience/advice/strategies could anybody offer to someone who was trying to mic and set up a pit orchestra? Is there a type of microphone that anyone has found to work? A particular layout (both of musicians and of mics)? Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Well I didn't know any viola-player-jokes, but there are a many about my favourite conductor, Otto Klemperer:-). By the way he often put the 2nd violins opposite to the first, as was often the habit in 19th century I was told?
    The funny thing today is that many musicians read jokes about trombone- and viola- players (not to mention guitarists like me, bassplayers or drummers) - and that after a period of about 18-20 years where some techno- and house-musicians were proud not to have the slightest clue what a viola would be, a flower, the name or a woman or a new marketing campaign for shoes made by Nike, "win with Viola for just 185 Euro"

Mr. Gary,It is very interesting and important, the dispositions that it give us.
    I have had the pleasure to listen live, dispociciones as much of adjustment of Orchestra, like of Chorale, and what I heard, he was something wonderful, because the dipociciones of the Orchestra vary much auditorily, with such executants seems that she was touching another orchestra.

Question Re: Seating Positions of the Orchestra

Why timpany is often behind 1st&2nd violins?

Doesn't it blend better with Doublebass and Tuba since they play the same register and double each other for the most part? if so, why they don't move Timpani next/behind Double bass? Is that for the symmetry of the setup or lack of space?
    Chekad Sarami
    Math Professor

Go Back to forum