• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jonny Lost Available to Contribute

Jonny Lost Available to Contribute

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that Gary has asked me to jump in here and field some questions. Feel free to ask.

My background is in Composition. I have both a bachelors and Master's degree in composition and have a very strong background in Music History and Theory.

Currently, I teach Music History of the 20th Century, American Music Styles, Songwriting and Advanced Songwriting at Hocking College and I teach Electronic Music, Composition, and Orchestration at Muskingum College.

If anyone would like to ask questions or send examples, or anything in general, please let me know.

I hope I can be of some help.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: Jonny Lost Available to Contribute

I hope you don't mind if I jump ahead a little but I read something in RK's book that has puzzled me. He states that the bass of a dominant chord should never be doubled in any of the upper parts. He adds that this applies to other chords of the seventh and diminished chords also . Can you explain the reasoning behind this rule? Thank you very much!!!

Sorry, make that inverted dominant chord. Same for other inverted 7th chords

Orcas Island

Thanks for being a part of this educational community and sharing your knowledge and expertise. you are going to bring a great deal to this community.

This thread was split into a new one called "Dominant Chords, Doublings of Active Tones, Voice-Leading, etc." to address Ron St. Germain's question.

Thanks again Jonny!

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum