• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sound card and hardware

Share/Bookmark

Sound card and hardware

I\'m looking at the possibility of getting a GSIF-compatible sound card for use with GigaStudio. I\'m not looking for a big high-end card, \'cause I don\'t do much hard disk recording. I\'m only looking for a card with good analog outputs. The only time I would do any hard disk recording is when I record all my MIDI gear and the Gigastudio sound to CD. What are some good sound cards that will fit the bill? I\'ve been quite interested in the new Terratec cards. Has anyoe used those? If I get a GSIF card, should I take out my SB Live card or will it work ok with both cards installed?

Also, I have an Abit BH-6 motherboard. What\'s the fastest Pentium III processor that the board can handle?

[This message has been edited by Damian Smith (edited 10-22-2000).]

Re: Sound card and hardware

Hi Damian - According to Abit\'s website:

CPU
    1.Supports Pentium®III 450~700 MHz processor cartridge.

2.Supports Pentium®II 350 ~ 450 MHz processor cartridge (Based on 100MHz clock)

3.Supports Pentium®II 233 ~ 333 MHz processor cartridge (Based on 66MHz clock)

4.Supports Celeron®266 ~ 333 MHz processor cartridge (Based on 66MHz clock)

Chipset
    1.Intel 440BX chipset (82443BX and 82371EB)
    2.Supports Ultra DMA/33 IDE protocol
    3.Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI)
    4.Supports AGP 66MHz/133MHz (Sideband) 3.3V device
    Memory
    1.Three 168-pin DIMM sockets support SDRAM module
    2.Supports up to 384MB MAX. (8, 16, 32, 64, 128MB SDRAM)
    3.ECC support

Also, check out the Terratec EWS88-MT. I have one I\'m going to sell for $300.00. It\'s GSIF compatible, and has lived with my SBLive Platinum quite happily since I\'ve had it. Also, Terratec just released Multi-Client compatible drivers for it a month ago.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

[This message has been edited by SteveMitchell (edited 10-22-2000).]

Hi All
    I have the same motherboard a Abit be-6.
    I bought my system july of 1999 ,1 and a half years ago with the pentium 3 450 processor .

I was debating wether to upgrade the mother board to the max CPU speed of 700 MHZ and increase the ram from the current 128 to 256 or just hold on to this until the 1 gigaherz get cheap.
    Because Nemesys say\'s you really need a 800 MHZ to get the full polyphony and run a sequencer at the same time [I run Cakealk 9.3]
    I read on one of the thread a post from Doc , he was very insiteful about the direction of computers ,he mentioned that between November and the first of the year that there will be a big price reduction in all Pentium and AMD CPUs.
    He also mentioned computers are moving towards dual CPUs per motherboard and 4 motherboards per single pc computer.thats alot of processing power .
    So just don\'t spend your lifes saving on a computer that will be obsolete very soon.

>>>Because Nemesys say\'s you really need a 800 MHZ to get the full polyphony and run a sequencer at the same time [I run Cakealk 9.3]<<<
    It\'s true that 800Mhz is still not fast enough...I have 1Ghz@PC133 system here, it works just fine (cakewalk and Giga), no tweaking as required (needed). When you want an upgraded, just keep it in mind!

Thanks for that, guys. To Steve, what did you think of the Terratec card?

Also, if I upgrade toa 1Ghz Pentium processor, do I have to get a new motherboard?

Hi Damian - Very quiet, and open. However, with my recording setup, I really never used all of the available features it has. I used its GSIF compatibility only briefly, with its 8 channels in/out, until I moved GSt to a separate P3 machine, with the Terratec(or my present soundcard)/Cakewalk combo on the master machine. The only reason I went with the WAMI Rack 24 was the 4 port MIDI I/O, and the 124 Db noisefloor.

Steve Mitchell
    The Classical MIDI Resource
    The CMR Players

Go Back to forum