• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: M-Audio Mic's

Share/Bookmark

Question OT: M-Audio Mic's

Is anyone using them and how good are they?

I'm looking for mic to record me playing live on pipeorgan, what of those M-audio mic's would you recommend. Are they others which are good but in or below $500 range?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Re: OT: M-Audio Mic's

I have four Luna's. They are freakin' great.

I use them mostly for vocals, and the resultant recordings are extraordinarily warm and vibrant. Beautiful mic's - especially for the price. M-Audio is certainly attempting to undercut everyone else when it comes to affordable condenser mic's and for my money, they've succeeded!

I'll buy plenty more mic's from them in the future, rest assured. No complaints out of me.

I've also used the Luna's to record a metal band, a prog jazz quartet, a concert for a pianist playing in a big hall on a huge Steinway D, and the local church chorus.

I've also used them to build some really nice, 48khz 24-bit private sample libs of my own.

Non-musically, I've recorded seminars, done a ton of foley recording with them, lots of ADR, and a bajillion sound effects with them (the poor man's walla recording scheme - run my Luna into the XLR accessory shoe on a DV cam, and record straight to miniDV - works wonderfully). My private sound design collection has been built 100% with these mics, and I'm exceptionally pleased and proud of the results.

So they've seen quite a bit of action and have never let me down. I'm always blown away by the quality of the sound from the M-Audio Luna, and I have worked with a decent number of super expensive ridiculous studio condensers in my time to know that these M-Audio mics are abnormalities when it comes to recording hardware these days - affordable yet startlingly effective; a rare combination. Makes me wonder why I don't hear about M-Audio's mics more often, but ah well... it'll be our little secret!

-Tom

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Consider Rode K2/NT2000 as well. Awesome microphones in that category, absolutely wonderful to work with.

I've got a solaris and I could not be happier with it. Recorded some classical guitar and it performed beautifully. Very clean. Highly recommend this mic.

@Tomdini:
    Do you have sound samples which were made with Luna?

Regards,
    Justus

Yea, I would be interested in some audio example

Anyway, I have studied this some more and my buying list is this:

AUDIO RECORDING

M-Audio FireWire 410 - 2/8 IO analog. 2/2 IO digital firewire

MIC

Shure KSM137/SL Condenser

MIXER

Behringer UB 1002 Eurorack Pro

STUDIO MONITORS

Behringer B2031A Truth

Any comments on it, is there something which I should know about any of these items which isn't maybe known bugs or something like that.

I'll be using Dell Latitude D505 laptop.

Thanks all!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Talking Re: OT: M-Audio Mic's

Just a reminder, I'm going to record lot of organ music played live by me. At one location there will be 32' stops available and will be used.
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

One question, should I buy Sub-woofer with the Behringer monitors?
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

You should also check out the www.gearslutz.com forums.. do a search for whatever mic's you're considering and you'll find tons of opinions about them..

Quote Originally Posted by clonewar
    You should also check out the www.gearslutz.com forums.. do a search for whatever mic's you're considering and you'll find tons of opinions about them..
    Thx for the link!
    Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast