• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: kontakt 2 vsl, yhe same as opus 1?

Share/Bookmark

kontakt 2 vsl, the same as opus 1?

i was just wondering, i have Kontakt 2 with the vsl library.
    so is there any difference in that library, and the full version of vsl opus 1?
    I know there are more articulations in Opus 1, but the ones i already have in K2, are exactly the same right?
    so if i got opus 1, i would be paying for 9 GB`s of samples i allready have in K2 ?
    or not? are there more dynamic layers etc. in opus 1 perhaps?

P.

Re: kontakt 2 vsl, yhe same as opus 1?

According to VSL, Kontakt 2 did NOT use the opus 1 samples, and opus 1 is an upgrade over the K2 VSL lib. Here is a thread at the VSL forums on the topic. You can do a search and find out more if you'd like.

http://vsl.co.at/forum/viewtopic.php...ntakt++library

well, even still, if its not the same samples...
    would it really be any point in getting opus 1 when i have the vsl k2 lib?
    thats the point really, what is the big selling point of opus 1 in this case?

as far as i can tell, its all the same basicly, and then opus 1 has more extra performance sounds, and articulations.
    and if the samples are not the same, wivh one sounds better?

Just wondering if i should consider opus 1 or not.

thanx.

The VSL samples included in the Kontakt2 Library are quite comprehensive. I think most samples are the same in both. Some differences between it and Opus 1:
    • Opus 1 has sample legato for all instruments (Legato only for flute and strings in the K2 Library)
    • Opus 1 has some extra articulations: short notes (0.3s for all, and beautiful 0.5s for strings), trills, pfp dynamics, pizzicato (multiple variants) and sordino for strings
    • K2 Library has mod-wheel controlled velocity layer blending for most instruments whereas Opus 1 lacks this for most instruments except for strings and legato patches.
    I'd say the legato samples account for most of the size difference. Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Nils

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    Just wondering if i should consider opus 1 or not.
    Only consider it if you NEED it. If you can get by with K2 VSL alone, then do it. Why throw money into something if you dont really need it? (see the "things bought and later regretted" thread).

Personally I, as a student film composer, needed to upgrade to Opus 1/2 as I needed the variety of instruments/articulations. However, that may not be necessary in your case.

Whatever you decide, remember this advice, DONT buy anything thinking "I might need it in the future." By the time that "future need" comes up, there are better/cheeper things on the market. Only buy what you need today.

...unless its a group buy

well, i was wondering if there was any major differences, i certaintly wont get opus 1 if the core of the two are the same.
    Vsl is not my main library, its a supplement, so i was wondering if there was any real advantage of having opus 1 additionally.
    i dont see the point of having the same 9 GB`s twice on my harddrives either, so that the end of that debate i think, for me atleast.

Thanx.

I have both and I simply deleted the K2 VSL library from the hard drive. I didn't pay for it, it came for free. Therefore I don't feel bad about not using it. If I remember correctly the K2 version was lacking in velocity layers which made it useless for me. There are legato scripts for Opus 1 on K2 so the version included with K2 doesn't have anything over Opus 1.

Opus 1 might be expensive but I don't regret getting it and I paid the full 990 Euros for it. I also got Opus 2 and French Oboe which complement Opus 1 nicely. I have absolutely no intentions to get the VSL VI editions, the Horizon libraries are excellent for the price and the K2 scripting makes them very easy to use.

The K2 VSL only has 2 velocity layers and very limited articulations. It also doesn't have the performance instruments that Opus 1 has. So Opus 1 has much more to offer.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Pzy-Clone
    i dont see the point of having the same 9 GB`s twice on my harddrives either, so that the end of that debate i think, for me atleast.

Thanx.
    You should post on the VSL forums (the link I gave earlier) and ask them about this "same 9 GB" idea. Obviously they are not going to record new files for K2, but I too own opus 1 & 2, and find it to be MUCH better than the K2 lib. Whether they are the same samples doesnt matter to me, as the sound quality due to the extended velocity layers and extra articulations is far better in Opus 1 & 2.

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    According to VSL, Kontakt 2 did NOT use the opus 1 samples, and opus 1 is an upgrade over the K2 VSL lib. Here is a thread at the VSL forums on the topic. You can do a search and find out more if you'd like.

http://vsl.co.at/forum/viewtopic.php...ntakt++library
    Actually in that VSL thread Herb from VSL says

"It's a basic orchestra set with 6-7 GB sound content (not comparable with Opus 1)".

He didn't say that the 6-7 GB of samples weren't from the Opus 1 set.. just that the 6-7 GB size isn't comparable with Opus 1. That's how I read it anyway..

Go Back to forum