• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone interested in Brazillian grooves

Share/Bookmark

Anyone interested in Brazillian grooves

Hello friends. Long story short, it's come to my attention (based on my own needs) that there is a HUGE lack of brazillian loops available in the world. After a good long search I've finally hooked up with some very talented percussionists who understand the style. Since I've learned of the LACK of grooves available, I thought maybe it would be worth going through the trouble of actually doing some serious sampling. Would any of you be interested in such a library? I'm not talking about a bunch of basic Bossa and Samba grooves, I'm talking about really native grooves - many which come out of the northern part of the country. I'm just curious if there's a market.

BTW - if there's any developers who would be interested in teaming up on this, feel free to contact me. (my wife is a true native brazillian, complete with accent - she's our guide to some amazing music I never knew existed!!)

Thanks
    J-

Re: Anyone interested in Brazillian grooves

I would really be interested in this. The problem thus far is that the "Braziliian" loops that are available are usually played by some non-Brazillian drummer copying the particular style on a drum kit, which is why it sounds fake. We need some real forro, axe, etc and played with the same instruments that they would be Bahia. Oh - and some good samba - either with a full bloco or just one person playing a single drum (so you can use it in small settings) and not a drum kit! And non-cheesy bossa nova please - I am thinking of Vinicius Cantuaria's understated percussion style.

Looking forward to it!

Are you sure there's a lack of Brazillian grooves on the market?

A quick search reveals following titles:
    - Pure Brazilian Beats
    - Brazil Electro
    - Latin world
    - Fiesta latina 1 and 2
    - Roots of south america 1 and 2

For certain instruments, loops might be a better way to go than beautifully sampled individual hits.
    Pandeiro grooves
    Tamborim grooves. ( with virado playing)
    In increments of 5bpm. ( 110, 115, 120 bpm, etc)

As to how much interest there would be in obscure Nordestino rhythms it is difficult to say.( I dont mean well-known rhythms,like Baiao, Maracatú, Frevo etc)
    My guess would be, that Brasillians themselves would be the most interested in having easy access to such a library, but the problems of price-point and pirating could be formidable obstacles.

I use live percussionists on my Brasillian jazz albums, but it would be handy to have a few grooves with the correct swing, for writing purposes.

I havent heard all the available Brasillian Groove cd's allready out there, but what little I have heard has been deeply unimpressive. It all tends to be, rather mechanical with no swing.

Call me predjudiced, but anything calling Brasillian music "Latino" would immediately turn me off, and make me think, the makers of the library dont know wtf they are talking about.

regards Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mosquito
    Are you sure there's a lack of Brazillian grooves on the market?

A quick search reveals following titles:
    - Pure Brazilian Beats
    - Brazil Electro
    - Latin world
    - Fiesta latina 1 and 2
    - Roots of south america 1 and 2

Have you heard these titles? They're certainly not all that. My wife and I have bought the best libraries on the market, and they're really lacking. I'm certain nothing extremely good and versatile has been done.

We're recording the stuff for our own use, I'm really just trying to see if there's any commercial desire for it. Just putting out some feelers

Quote Originally Posted by joaz
    For certain instruments, loops might be a better way to go than beautifully sampled individual hits.
    Pandeiro grooves
    Tamborim grooves. ( with virado playing)
    In increments of 5bpm. ( 110, 115, 120 bpm, etc)

As to how much interest there would be in obscure Nordestino rhythms it is difficult to say.( I dont mean well-known rhythms,like Baiao, Maracatú, Frevo etc)
    My guess would be, that Brasillians themselves would be the most interested in having easy access to such a library, but the problems of price-point and pirating could be formidable obstacles.

I use live percussionists on my Brasillian jazz albums, but it would be handy to have a few grooves with the correct swing, for writing purposes.

I havent heard all the available Brasillian Groove cd's allready out there, but what little I have heard has been deeply unimpressive. It all tends to be, rather mechanical with no swing.

Call me predjudiced, but anything calling Brasillian music "Latino" would immediately turn me off, and make me think, the makers of the library dont know wtf they are talking about.

regards Joe

Joaz, you are correct. This library would be loops - with some hits. But we're trying to capture the authentic swing. We've found a really talented percussionist here who has been several times to Brazil to study. He's really got the feel. We also are seriously considering a trip this fall to brazil to record some natives down there.

Sounds good J.
    Please keep us all informed, how it goes.

My recommendation is take the trip to Brasil.

I have made 4 extensive trips to Brasil. and learned alot of great stuff "straight from the horses mouth". The stuff you learn in Brasil, you wont find in any book.
    There is something so satisying in lying in a hammock at Sunset on a beach with a cold cerveja, pointing your DAT recorder at a bunch of capoeristas playing grooves.

Now, that is what I call serious ethno-musical research. !!!

Boa Sorte Joe

Hi!

Well, i'm a brazilian native.

I was lucky enough to work with Milton Nascimento, Toninho Horta and many others artists here...I just can say you one thing: Every state of Brasil has your own flavour, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Minas Gerais, All the "North side" is completly diferent than the others. So, i would advice you to listen in the source.

I've recorded with a nice percussion player called Mingo Araujo, he used to play with Paul Simon...And he said me that if you need some nice "samba" groove, you have to go to Rio de Janeiro and choose a guy who lives in a poor home, and who grew up in the "samba's environment". There is something a little rude and at same time sophisticated with these popular rythms.

Listen to Joaz, he knows what he's talking about.

Best.

Go Back to forum