• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Can't get started with GPO - please help !

Share/Bookmark

Question Can't get started with GPO - please help !

Hello -- sorry about this in advance. I'm a new member and new to GPO but I've searched and searched through your archives, the Garritan site and the separate FAQ at http://search.page.us/faq/ and you guys must all be computer geniuses because I still can't get started on solving my problem !

The problem is the usual one - no mod wheel, no pitch wheel, need to remap Midi controllers blah blah in order to use GPO properly. I initially thought Dan Hristodorescu's Sonar controller remapping plugin listed on http://www.garritan.com/GPO-SonarPage.html would do the trick: I have Sonar 5 Producer plus a Carillon PC with RK-8 midi controller (with tweakable and theoretically reassignable knobs currently governing volume, pan, cutoff, resonance and controllers 16, 17, 18 and 19) and reckoned I could maybe reassign one of these controllers to CC1 using Dan H's plugin.

I've downloaded the plugin from the Garritan site and it contains a .dll and a .bat file, but no instructions on how to install it, where to put it or how to launch it (apart from a brief note about modifying an .ini file) ! And of course, I don't even know if I'd be installing the right thing in the first place. Please can someone confirm, deny, or just point me in the right direction ?

Many thanks, and sorry to go over all this again.

Viv.

Re: Can't get started with GPO - please help !

Getting started with a new computer program is always a hassle!!

The GPO plugin 1.1 should be put in your Cakewalk folder found in Program Files. There will be a subfolder named shared midi plug ins. That where to put it. Then, in Sonar, use it as a midi fx, on every instrument except piano, organ, percussion. When you select it, select map velocity to mod wheel.

There is another file available at Garritan. Com which converts the whole Sonar file at one shot, but I don't like it, as it seems to require that everything first be converted from CWP to MID, and it really clutters your event list.

I don't have a mod wheel, don't miss it. The plug in does all I need.

Richard

Thanks very much - I'll take the plunge and do it now. Can't wait to get on with all of GPO's lovely sounds.
    Viv.

(Later...) Sorry - still stuck. The GPO Plugin Release 1.1.1 is in a folder that contains 3 files - a dll, a help and a batch file (install.bat). When I look in the Cakewalk Shared Midi Plugins folder I can see other dlls and other help files, but no other batch file, which makes me a bit wary. Also, I'm running XP, and the install.bat refers to MS-DOS, which is confusing (at least to me).
    Do I (1) copy the entire folder into Shared Midi Plugins as a folder ? (2) copy all 3 of the files into Shared Midi Plugins but not the folder ? (3) copy just the dll and the hlp file ?
    Second question: according to the website www.midiplugins.com/faq.aspx I should register the dll using regsvr32.exe ... is this necessary in Sonar and if so how ?
    If Dan Hristodorescu (the originator of the plugin) is reading this entry, I'd really appreciate some installation instructions !
    Am I particularly stupid and are people supposed to know all these things naturally ?
    All help very gratefully received.
    Thanks again.
    Viv.

I've taken desperate measures to install this MFX plugin but still can't get it to make any difference to how GPO sounds (and it sounds very VERY flat at the moment).
    Just to check... I adapted instructions found for other plugins on the internet, and installed the .dll and the .hlp file in my Shared MIDI plugins folder. I then created a SendTo shortcut for regsvr32.exe and registered the plugin, allegedly successfully. I then altered ttsseq.ini to add, as the second item under [Options], EchoDxiInputToAllMidiTracks=1 (which is what it says I should do in the .hlp file for the plugin).
    I've tried using the plugin as both a real-time and a destructive effect, all to no avail. I've tried sticking it in the FX bin and I've tried inserting it under the Process heading. I've tried patching Velocity to CC#1, as suggested, and I've also tried using controllers other than Velocity (since I was in the first instance trying to set up a real-time facility by tweaking RK8 controller buttons that are set up for CCs #16-19).
    Nothing sounds any different.
    What, oh what, am I missing out ?
    I feel utterly frustrated and very stupid, which I'm obviously not as I've managed to get this far... please someone, please help.
    Thanks.
    Viv.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

For all the hassle you've been encountering, the path of least resistance might be to grab a small/cheap controller with some CC control in it. You will never regret it...especially with a library like GPO that is controller-centric.

My very hearty suggestion is the Alesis Photon X25 (or the next size up). You would gain the ability to map just about every important synth/sampler feature to nice feeling controller knobs/wheels, and it's not very much money if you surf the discount sites and find a low price.

I did qute a bit of research on this. There are similar competing brands of this same basic form-factor in compact MIDI controllers (M-Audio, etc), but the Alesis is the pick of the litter by quite a stretch. The others feel cheap and skimpy...the Alesis is light, but the controls and keys feel substantial and are very smartly designed.

Thanks for the tip: the infuriating thing is that I already have a built-in MIDI controller in the shape of the RK8 8-dial controller on the front of my Carillon PC. As mentioned above, the dials are already assigned to specific controller values: I was told before I bought it that I could reassign these (I knew, and the salesman knew, that I'd be installing GPO). I am having a totally thankless job trying to reassign these wretched things and be able to play things in in real time while hearing the CC#1 effect. (If I just wanted to hear it on playback, I could use Sonar's Convert MIDI To Shapes utility, but I don't.) I know exactly why you're recommending the Alesis Photon -- and I'll certainly look at it more closely if I really hit a brick wall on this one -- but you'll understand why I'm reluctant to buy yet another MIDI controller at this stage !

Having spent all week wrestling with this little problem that's stopping me from doing anything creative, I'm even now contemplating a sequel to the rant about music technology that I put up on my site 4 years ago. Grrrr. In the meantime, all further ideas gratefully received.

Thanks !
    Viv.

No, I'm not dead... See if this works for you.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/miditools/

MIDICCMAP is the one I'm talking about.

Thumbs up Re: Can't get started with GPO - please help !

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Burrell
    No, I'm not dead... See if this works for you.

http://mdsp.smartelectronix.com/miditools/

MIDICCMAP is the one I'm talking about.
    Now, there's the best news I've heard all day.
    Styxx

Well, Joseph Burrell is definitely worth careful attention!!

But still not clear to me: How are you trying to access the plug in? I expand the channel that has the instrument that I want, right click on effects, select gpo midi filter, map velocity to CC1, and there it is. The folder that you described sound like mine. I suspect that you are overlooking some detail, a very easy thing to do! I am using Sonar 4, but I think that it would be the same for Sonar 5.

Richard

Go Back to forum