• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Freeware Registry clean?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Freeware Registry clean?

Hi there,

Is there one better than the rest (free )

Rob
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Re: OT: Freeware Registry clean?

Hi Rob:

This is the only one I've used, it called easycleaner. I did some research to find that this was one of the better ones. This link also had some other ones, but I've only tried easycleaner and I am happy with it. I've used it to clean all 3 of my PC's, and have had no problems yet.

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...tfg,tfg,00.asp

Hope this helps

Sorry that link had the older version. This link should take you to the official page

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Be very careful...you can wreck Pace installations very easily with any kind of registry cleaner. Not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce A. Richardson
    Be very careful...you can wreck Pace installations very easily with any kind of registry cleaner. Not fun.
    Agreed. Not only that, but they have been known to add spyware and other nasties. Better to stick with the commercial ones. It is worth the money to have a good one.
    "So what if some parts of life are a crap shoot? Get out there and shoot the crap." -- Neil Peart
    Hint:1.6180339887498948482 Φ

Probably wise to get a commerical one. If I am going to spend the dough - which one is highest rated (not to cause more problems like Bruce mentioned.)

turns out my problem today was a corrupted Windows file (fix it by going to an early system restore point.

Are the reg cleans even something I should worry about. I don't want to casue more issues.

ROb
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You just have to be very, very careful. I don't ever run them, I just avoid putting anything on the machine that I'm not going to live with.

Copy protection schemes of all kinds tend to scatter things around the registry and your hard drives, which by their nature, are not very well recognized by registry cleaners. So, the registry cleaner wants to remove it. Often, these items are not labeled sufficiently for you to recognize them as something you don't need.

So, you say OK. Then, not only does your CP scheme go off, but it thinks it's being hacked. So, in the case of Pace for sure, and others I would suspect, you might not even be able to restore the protection at all. With Pace, if you get it into that condition, the only workaround I've ever seen be effective is creating a completely new user account on the machine, and reauthorizing to the new account.

Go Back to forum