• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Audio examples of string articulations?

Share/Bookmark

Audio examples of string articulations?

Could anyone suggest a good website or book that has audio
    examples of the different string articulations? I thought it might be helpful in working with string samples to actually hear different articulations and know
    how they're used.

Thanks,

Tom

Re: Audio examples of string articulations?

Sincerely,
    Falcon1

icelandphotoblog.com
    my cafepress store
    my fine art print store
    my music store

Please support your fellow musician from Iceland where the currency has fallen 70% against USD and 90% against EURO! Every dollar or euro counts!

Falcon1:

Thanks! That's a great website- very informative.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by wolfetho
    Falcon1:

Thanks! That's a great website- very informative.

Tom
    Went to the site that Falcon1 recommended. It was great yesterday; now, I get mostly, "The page cannot be viewed" when trying to hear sounds or see charts. Also, I don't get the little "icons" for video, audio, anymore.

Any explanation for this....anyone?

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

examples of the different string articulations? I thought it might be helpful in working with string samples to actually hear different articulations and know
    how they're used.
    Here is an excellent collection of videos that show various string articulations, bowings and effects on the violin:

http://www.obu.edu/music/videos/bowings.htm

And here are some more videos of string techniques on the violin and double bass.

The site falcon1 recommended is also an informative site, but they seem to be down at the moment.

Gary Garritan

http://www.arraymusic.com/video/viol...ht_violin.html
    http://www.arraymusic.com/video/bass..._dblebass.html

Thank you Mr. Garritan, Sir........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is an amazing resource to learn about violin.

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this site but I'l like to say... W O W ! ! ! This is so great. Just what I've been praying and looking for. In regards to falcon's recommanded site, it was fantastic... A great place for information in regards to the orchestra and it's instruments. His site and examples are great too. Mr. Garritan, my hat off to you sir and my God forever bless you. You've been very instrumental (no punn...lol) in getting me where I want to be as a composer. And also, thanks for your tip on the online videos..... Great place of resource for information....

Jaythan

examples of the different string articulations?
    In addition to the resources people have suggested...if you can arrange to spend half an hour with a good violinist, do so (for that matter, if you're in the NYC-Poughkeepsie-Albany area, I'd be happy to be that violinist if you like). I think it will be very informative to closely watch how the bowings work and hear the different articulations at close range.
    Marnen E. Laibow-Koser
    Composer / Web developer
    http://www.marnen.org

Quote Originally Posted by marnen
    In addition to the resources people have suggested...if you can arrange to spend half an hour with a good violinist, do so (for that matter, if you're in the NYC-Poughkeepsie-Albany area, I'd be happy to be that violinist if you like). I think it will be very informative to closely watch how the bowings work and hear the different articulations at close range.
    Marnen,

Spending time with a real violinist to learn the different playing techniques is invaluable.

Next time we are recording at Troy Music Hall I may take you up on that offer.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum