• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What do you think of the course so far?

Share/Bookmark

What do you think of the course so far?

It has only been less than a week since the first lesson was posted. And we seem to be off to a good start. Only 22 lessons to go!

I am very pleased with the attention this course is receiving from musicians, educators, press and people interested in orchestration. A big thank you to our professors, Alan Belkin, Andy Brick, Jeannot Welter, Petr Pololanik, Jim Williams, Jonny Cox and others for answering questions.

What do you think?

Is there anything else you would like to see to make this course a better experience?

Thank you for your participation.

Gary Garritan

Re: What do you think of the course so far?

This course has filled two very important aspects of Principles of Orchestration that have been missing--recorded examples from the text and an update to a hundred year old book. The worth of both is incalcuable to us who have studied the print version and extremely important to those new to the book.

I hope those that are new to orchestration realize that the printed examples are not concert pitch. The horns, Bb or A clarinets, etc must be transcribed, While this seems obvious to most, a note may help eliminate any confusion.

Thank you, Gary, for a wonderful job. I truly appreciate it.

Ouch- I didn't realize the transposition thing. Maybe someone could come up with a quick reminder table to show the instruments involved and the amount of transposition. Now I have to find out if there's a way in my sequencer (Sonar 3) to change the sound of the instrument without changing the midi staff notation.

The course is great- but I'm a little disconcerted with how fast the lessons are being released. I feel like I'm two weeks behind already! I realize its a "do it at your own pace" thing, but still you like to be working on the same thing that everyone else is posting about. Hopefully, there will be only one lesson released per week.

Carl

I've taken several orchestration courses in the past, and for me this has been a welcomed refresher. Very concise and the professor comments are a nice touch.

Though mentioned occassionally, I think it should be more broadly stated that this course is based on a century old text and a lot of the principles and rules don't necessarily apply to music after that time. Based on some of the discussions, it seems more than a few people are a bit confused by this.

This course is great so far. It's the musical passages that are the best feature. We understand that R-K was picked because of being in the public domain, and that the footnotes and discussions by the professors help tell us what is still relevant 100 years later. If only the publishing industry would publish ALL music theory books this way, the student could learn a whole lot faster.

Keith Walls

This is a wonderful contribution to music learning resources available on the web. I’ve been an active listener for over 65 years and now retired, have the time and inclination to deepen my understanding of concert music. The R-K site is absolutely wonderful – THANK YOU GARY and EVERYONE who’ve made this possible

I’ve also discovered a BBC web site that has some wonderful music analysis of major concert works. I’ve now begun to listen in a very different way (more use of the head – while still heart centered).

Here’s the link http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/discover...oarchive.shtml

Again, thanks,
    Fred

I couldn't imagine taking a music course without the added audio examples!
    These are not only a great accompaniment to the textual information.. but a necessity.!

Once again.. I applaud everyone involved in this presentation. A superb job!

Although I'm only on the 3rd lesson, and haven't began the tutorials as of yet(still at work )) I'm looking forward to studying this further on my system at home.

Looking forward to the next lessons!!

~Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by carlmsmith
    The course is great- but I'm a little disconcerted with how fast the lessons are being released. I feel like I'm two weeks behind already! I realize its a "do it at your own pace" thing, but still you like to be working on the same thing that everyone else is posting about. Hopefully, there will be only one lesson released per week.
    Carl,

Thanks for expressing concern about the pace of the course. Others have commented about this also. We can certainly slow it down and give more time to digest the material.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Carl,

Thanks for expressing concern about the pace of the course. Others have commented about this also. We can certainly slow it down and give more time to digest the material.

Gary Garritan
    No, no - the pace is fine. One shouldn't feel pressure to complete each lesson before the next is released. They'll be there for quite awhile I assume. I'm ready for #5.

I think it's great. But it's a bit early to tell how involved it will get. It seems pretty basic so far and I'm not an expert.

In terms of improvement, one thing that could make it better would be a way to easily disect the examples (e.g., allow one to solo a given part or parts). A lot of us have GPO and either a sequencer or notation program that supports GPO. Those files that generated the scores and the GPO audio streams must be on someone's disk. Any chance you'd make them available for download in a format easily supported for import by either Sibelius/GPO or Finale?

Go Back to forum