• Register
  • Help

Topic: Embarassing but... what's the easiest way to get started?

Share/Bookmark

Embarassing but... what's the easiest way to get started?

I haven't touched my GPO in a year. A year.

So, basically, having forgotten everything I learned... what's the EASIEST way to use GPO? As a VST in the included Cubase? As part of the included Overture?

I'm not that great of a player, but I can plug in notes step-time... Overture may be my best bet - especially if loading instruments and telling the software how to play them back is easier too.

Thanks.
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Re: Embarassing but... what's the easiest way to get started?

Well, I think the easiest, as long as you can read music, is the easiest way to start. It is easier on the wrist than clicking every note in with a mouse.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I think the easiest, as long as you can read music, is the easiest way to start. It is easier on the wrist than clicking every note in with a mouse.

Richard

um.... what? I think you forgot to say WHAT you think the easiest is. Unless nothing is. So far it's looking like Overture may be simpler....

When I use the bundled Cubase, it only seems to work for MIDI channel 1!

Is that how Studio works? 8 instances of Kontkt GPO = MIDI ch1-8, each one can have 8 instruments for MIDI inst.1-8 for each channel?

I need to experiment more, but I also have a project I need to start working on right away!

GPO Studio is designed to allow you to run GPO with notation programs and other midi software that doesn't support VSt/DX/RTAS/AU.
    Studio sets up MIDI output ports on your system, eight of them. Within each port, there are eight channels (1-8, running left to right in the kontakt slots) to use.
    You can select these outputs from any notation/sequencer/midiplayer, and as long as you have the studio program open and instruments loaded in the proper channels you'll hear the output. I've noticed a delay (latency) between the studio and the other midi outputs I can select, so if I'm using the studio I won't use any output ports other than GPO studio 1-8.

The outputs on the studio run left to right, top to bottom, making GPO Studio 1 the top left, Studio 4 the top right, and Studio 6 the kontakt player instance second from the left on the bottom row.

The other options is to load GPO as a VST, AU, RTAS, or DX plugin from a compatible sequencer. In this fashion each instance of the player is an output port, and again, selecting channels 1-8 on that port will give you the different slots in the player. GPO as a plugin syncs properly with the rest of the outputs (other plugins, Creative Soundset, soundfonts, etc).

Overture SE requires the Studio.
    Cubase will require you to load GPO as a VST to run the most efficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax
    what's the EASIEST way to use GPO? As a VST in the included Cubase? As part of the included Overture?
    The easiest way depends if you are a notation person or a sequencer person. Some people work better in one as opposed to the other.

The advantage of Cubasis is that GPO works as a plugin and is integrated. With Overture you need to run GPO Studio.

Here are some resource pages with tutorials to get you started with Cubasis or Overture.

Cubasis: http://garritan.com/GPO-CubasisPage.html

Overture: http://garritan.com/GPO-OverturePage.html

Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Now we're cookin' with gas! Let's see how this goes....

Thanks gang!

...and it's painfully evident I need a faster processor and more RAM. I intend to do big work and I've already run into not enough RAM to load the full orchestra.

Hey... when using Cubasis (the direction I think I'd prefer) do you need to load all your desired instruments every time you want to play the song, or does it save that data so you only need to open the work and it starts loading your instruments for you? (I hope it's the latter, easier one.)

Question regarding Cubasis.... I can't seem to find where to add the cool reverb effects that are in the Studio. I can't live without reverb.

Edit: Well, I found 'em under VST Send Effects > Garritan but they don't seem to do a lot... must keep experimenting.

One thing one of the demos had but I can't find on my own is the windows that had CPU usage on it. That's critical for me right now since I'm pushing the envelope of this Sempron 2600+

Try the Ambience Reverb on Disc #4 and place it in the Steinberg/Cubasisi/VST folder.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Try the Ambience Reverb on Disc #4 and place it in the Steinberg/Cubasisi/VST folder.

Gary Garritan
    Done during install... apparently there's an extra setting you need to activate on each track to add the reverb and set its level. "Global" would be easier, but the way it loads instruments is much easier so it balances out.

Argh! Still no reverb out of Cubasis!

EDIT: Got it!! It's in the VST Channel Mixer for part 1 of each bank of 16 "V" thingys. (1, 17, 33, etc.)

Wish you could hide all the other 15 unneccesary channel markers for each bank, but at least I'm getting somewhere. Good thing I can remember my hexadecimals (+1).

Go Back to forum