• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Stuff: Cut the Chord! - Wireless MIDI Keyboard

Orcas Island

New Stuff: Cut the Chord! - Wireless MIDI Keyboard

M-Audio and Frontier Design have partnered on a good idea: totally wireless MIDI keyboards. The first in their line are the MidAir 25 and MidAir 37

The new wireless protocol that has low enough latency for some audio applications.

The Midistream system uses UHF radio: "Simply put, we found the UHF band to be superior. We started out by developing both systems, but abandoned the Bluetooth system due to its high latency and other performance problems."

Being untethered will be liberating!

Calgary, AB, Canada

Re: New Stuff: Cut the Chord! - Wireless MIDI Keyboard

Great idea! Glue 4 of 'em together for a full piano!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Thumbs up Re: New Stuff: Cut the Chord! - Wireless MIDI Keyboard

This is the start of what I hope to be a flood of wireless MIDI products. In the perfect world we only have cables running for microphones and other audio connections. (Even better if we can do this with no wires in the future!)

I'm glad they did not go forward with bluetooth, it would not have worked well. I looked for details on latency but could not find any. Are there details I missed? I'd like to see what performance is like and how much MIDI we could make wireless.

Coupled with wireless USB we are headed right into an almost wire free environment. Woot!

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum