• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sorry, I have not been around...here's a couple of new ones

Sorry, I have not been around...here's a couple of new ones

Once again, sorry I have not been around. My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I went to be by her side for the operation and the beginning of her chemo therapy. She has her up days and her down days.

Anyway, while I was there I did some writing...about 5 or 6 pieces. Here are the first 2.

Prelude for piano and string quartet

The Arrival

If you have any ideas on how to improve or expand these pieces, then I would be happy to hear from you. For that matter, if you just want to critique...that would be fine as well.

I will be adding the others in a timely manner. I don't want to bombard you with all of the new ones at one time.

and thanks,

Prowland the posting Ninja

Re: Sorry, I have not been around...here's a couple of new ones

Hey all,

Do you think that "The Arrival" is a bit to repetative. Of couse, I am to close to be a decent judge. After haveing heard both of these so many times, I am unsure of the quality or the mood. What mental pictures do these pieces bring to your mind?

I am so sorry to hear the family news, Paul. Stay by
    her side... it is of more help than you know. And rest
    assured you and your Mom will be in the thoughts and
    prayers of your family, here.

The Predule is good work, Paul... deeply emotive and
    the writing is growing in strength and clarity, as is the
    voicing and harmonic work. This is quite interesting in
    places -- I enjoyed listening to it, several times.

One of the tests, to me, of the strength of a piece is
    whether it becomes more interesting or less interesting
    on repeated hearings. This one gets more interesting.

Arrival, as you note, might bear with more variation of the
    motivic elements. The low sonorities are interesting -- it's
    difficult to get those to work, but in this case I think that they
    do. I might suggest working more with variations in texture
    and dynamics in this one.

Glad to see you back with us, Paul!

Wine Country, Colorado

The writing in the Prelude is melancholy and top notch and reminds of the Beethoven late quartets. Arrival is not repetitive at all and in fact is quite well developed. I found it to be very original and interesting. Waiting for the others. I hope your Mom gets better.
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I will be flying back out to her again this Tuesday, and will stay until the 21st. That is one of the nice things about preparing for school this fall...no work to keep me in one place. While I am with my parents, I will be going to an orientation week-end. Mainly, I will be there for her. The prayers of so many different people have helped her...just to name a few; we have methodists, baptists, presbyterians, muslims, pagans...the list goes on and on. The power of prayer, in all it's myriad flavors, is an amazing thing to witness. It has been and will be hard on her, but with the support of so many people, I am sure that she will make it through this. At 72 years old, my Mom is one tough lady. She's to ornery to let this get the best of her.

Thank you for the kind words about the prelude, and I will have to work on "Arrival". I was trying for a modulation through the changes in register...but it is lacking. I was thinking of reworking the background...or possibly variations in the melody. I may try both...and then get opinions from you!

You know...I still feel like a kid on christmas eve. If I can earn a living doing this after college, then I will be a happy man.

Once again thank you for everything,

Thanks for the listen. Beethoven's late quartets?!? I am honored to be compared to him! Thank you. And thank for your concern for my Mom.

I think that I will still look at a bit of variation on "arrival"...even if I just add it to what I already have.

Wow...Beethoven? I feel a blush coming! LOL

Thank you again!!!

Prayer is the most powerful thing we can do.
    Glad to see you back Paul!
    Give my regards to your Mom.

Paul -

Thank you for sharing the first two movements of your larger work! Looking forward to hearing the rest once completed! I can't comment compositionally to your piece. I am still learning and re-learning composition/orchestration myself. But I thoroughly enjoyed the listen! Nice work!!

I do have comment regarding the mix, though. In the Prelude, it seems like the piano is situated a bit too far back from the strings in the mix. I am not able to clearly hear the piano as I believe you intended it to be heard. Maybe the piano could be brought out more in the mix?? The Arrival seemed to be mixed just fine.

Finally. . . .

Please know that your mother, your family and you are held in my thoughts and prayers. I used to be an oncology nurse. I know that your mom has a bumpy road ahead of her as she undergoes chemotherapy. Knowing that her son and family is there by her side will be a wonderful sourse of support for her. I hope that the effects of the chemotherapy will be kept to a minimum.

And I also pray for healing. . . Lots and lots of healing.

Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Dan and Ted,

Thank you both for the support and the prayers. My family has been blessed with all sorts of people since my Mom was diagnosed. It's funny how you never know how surrounded by good people you are, until something like this happens. The world would be a better place, if we acted like this all the time. The people on this forum seem to always be like this. Out of all the music forums, this one cares the most. Obviously, it is not that we are all musicians. All the other music sites show that normally musicians tend to be self-centered. Not the GPO forum...for whatever reason, I feel lucky to be surrounded by amazing, caring musicians and composers.

God bless you all,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Excellent writing on both works. The scoring fit the mood set forth as well and choices for the GPO instruments was the icing on the cake.

My thoughts and prayers are for you and a good recovery and prognosis for your mother.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast