• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hardware question

Share/Bookmark

Hardware question

Whenever my 4 year old daughter permits, I'm slowly getting my computer studio orchestra set up. I even managed to put together a one minute string sequence last PM, though I swear I'll burn it before anyone else hears it !At the moment, I have two questions:

I've back-ordered an M-Audio Axiom (mainly because it had aftertouch) since I don't have any MIDI gear with a mod wheel. Also because I figure that the capacity to assign controllers will make up for the learning curve of yet another piece of cunningly engineered equipment. But I already have a Roland HP MIDI piano with 88 weighted keys, and as a piano player, I hope to be able to do most of my GPO inputting on it rather than on the Axiom. Should I expect any special problems trying to set this up?

Second question: The general consensus in GPO land is that the mod wheel is the best way to control CC1. But A., as a lefty, I'll have to put my stronger hand to the service of the wheel and B. as a piano guy, I expect sometimes to miss being able to play with 2 hands. Has anyone messed with setting up a foot controller and assigning it to CC1? Obviously, the pedal would have to be a 'slider' rather than a simple on-off like the sustain. But I imagine it could be a comfortable way to control expression, at least in theory. Any recommendations on this would be eagerly scooped up!

Thanks, y'all.

Re: Hardware question

Quote Originally Posted by claysf
    Whenever my 4 year old daughter permits, I'm slowly getting my computer studio orchestra set up. I even managed to put together a one minute string sequence last PM, though I swear I'll burn it before anyone else hears it !At the moment, I have two questions:

I've back-ordered an M-Audio Axiom (mainly because it had aftertouch) since I don't have any MIDI gear with a mod wheel. Also because I figure that the capacity to assign controllers will make up for the learning curve of yet another piece of cunningly engineered equipment. But I already have a Roland HP MIDI piano with 88 weighted keys, and as a piano player, I hope to be able to do most of my GPO inputting on it rather than on the Axiom. Should I expect any special problems trying to set this up?

Second question: The general consensus in GPO land is that the mod wheel is the best way to control CC1. But A., as a lefty, I'll have to put my stronger hand to the service of the wheel and B. as a piano guy, I expect sometimes to miss being able to play with 2 hands. Has anyone messed with setting up a foot controller and assigning it to CC1? Obviously, the pedal would have to be a 'slider' rather than a simple on-off like the sustain. But I imagine it could be a comfortable way to control expression, at least in theory. Any recommendations on this would be eagerly scooped up!

Thanks, y'all.
    First thought: if you are going to be entering mainly piano music the mod wheel is not needed. It has no effect. Being a piano player, I quite well understand about the two hands thing!! However, in cases of need, there are various means of mapping the mod wheel to suit your needs. My solution is to enter everything with my controller keyboard, and eventually use a midi effects controller on each channel to map velocity to cc1, or I do the mapping before I begin.

Richard

Go Back to forum