• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Tattered Flag

Share/Bookmark

Arrow The Tattered Flag

Just in time for D-Day.

For our soldiers, our country, and the perilous times we face...

The Tattered Flag

Re: The Tattered Flag

Hi Josh,

Very nice work, clean and precise, well conceived and executed. You have a very nice style and the rendering was excellent. Looking forward to hearing more of your works.

Gary

Fine work on this, Josh -- very effective, very
    well written programmatic presentation.

Skillful orchestration throughout; with some very
    well done brass writing and lovely, broad string
    work... and good advantage of the piccolo
    for character witness... lol.

I've had this looping several times -- there are
    some interesting, quietly subtle strokes that I
    didn't catch on the first pass.

The one side comment I might make is about
    levels -- and remember, could just be my "old"
    ears -- but I found a few areas a bit too soft
    (around mid 4:00's in the strings, for instance).

Well done!

Thank you for remembering our countrymen
    in uniform.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Josh:

Another marvelous creation.........I mean, I was thinking how great this would be for underscoring a patriotic speech (like the one's that come from National Holiday TV programs from Washington, D.C.), or for background music in a patriotic domumentary.

BRAVO again, Josh.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Josh, you know -- I rarely immediately think of film work when
    I hear a piece of music (not even film scores, usually... lol).

But I go along with Jack on this. There's a very visually
    evocative stance in this piece that would serve wonderfully
    well with documentary or other film content.

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

gary - i appreciate your input...welcome to the forum and i look forward to hearing from you more

greetings, David - yeah, i tried to be subtle about things in this piece - maybe i was a bit too subtle in the very quiet section...i did want the violins in that part to be absolutely as quiet as possible, yet still audible - but maybe i went too far - i'll have to examine that part...

it's funny how you and Jack suggested it would serve well as music for a documentary - i was definitely trying to be as "visual" as possible...and again about subtlety, there are things within the music that are symbolic which serve the "story" and my intent but may not be very apparent initially...

as i wrote when i posted this, "For our soldiers, our country, and the perilous times we face" - the music explores all three aspects and is basically in that order as well...for those not familiar, the recording you hear at the end (material i use twice within the orchestra) is the Horst Wessel Lied, probably the most popular N-a-z-i anthem (sorry, used hyphens to get past the forum word-bots)...maybe i can give the complete run-down of symbolism and other ways i derive and use material (don't wanna sound too clever, but there's lots of it ) ...there is a message and warning in addition to being a tribute to our Soldiers...

Jack and David - thanks for your comments and input...always a pleasure

-josh

Hey, What is that recording mixed in at the end of the piece? Sounds like an old mono recording of something patriotic.
    Anyway, good job. It has it all; classical, colonial patriotic, victorious then troubling, snippets of classic themes, and some modern chordal dissonance.
    Really like this one; thank you for supporting our troops... they need it.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I hope the piece reflects the extreme contrasts between massive oppression and selfless liberation.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Everytime I listen to this, I get more out of it. And in explaining its construction of "Soldier, Country, Perilous times," Josh has put forth a stunning, patriotic result. Exploration successful.........

Again, BRAVO, Josh.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast