• Register
  • Help

Topic: new piece

new piece

Hello everyone,

First off, I would like to extend HUGE thanks to all of you who sent us your best wishes for our performance of Spellbound The Musical in NY back in April. It was a great success and we are now in negotiations with a couple of producers about characters/show length/scene changes/cuts/edits etc. I will keep you all posted. I cannot express our gratitude enough to you all who posted comments of encouragement, critique and advice - the GPO forums are certainly an extremely wonderful community to be part of.

Since our performance in April, I have managed to tear myself away from Spellbound, have 2 vacations with my girlfriend and even begin writing an entirely new piece, completely un-related to Spellbound (yes, I hear those sighs of relief! ) This is a "personal" piece which I have just begun and would love some feedback on it. I won't bore you all and give details about the story which the piece tells. Simply put, it is a piece which spans 12 months, starting August 2005. It is unfinished as I have only got as far as October. I have decided to post what I've written so far because I hear it every night, and re-work stuff, write a few more bars, then edit, then delete, then re-write...etc...you know what it's like when you hear your own music over and over and over again... I would just like to know what "feel" people get from it. Does anything seem odd? Do transitions seem premature or inappropriate? Are any instruments sounding intrusive? Did I go overboard with the brass in some parts? Is the mix painful on the ear? That kind of thing.

Many Many Many thanks if you have time to comment.

Once again, HUGE HUGE thanks to Neotypic for giving the webspace to upload this. Where's your stuff these days, Neo? Would love to hear some more.

Here it is:
    "Life is rarely fair..." - Garlan, of Thorandall

Re: new piece

Beautiful job on this, Kin.

That brass work in the center is powerful writing.

Overall, I think one of the problems in this piece will
    be end-to-end balance (of the material). Developing
    climactic material too early can trap you later.

But, then again... dramatic pace is something you've
    proven master of in Spellbound.

Some wonderful episodic writing in this, my friend.
    It is too early for me to say too much -- on the one
    hand, I need to hear more; and on the other, I am
    averse to too directly influencing the writing of others.

I will comment the great thematic material, and your
    hallmark skill in expressive, evocative melody... the
    almost Coplandesque touch in so many places.

This is coming down the road toward a strong winner,
    I think!

I look forward to the completed piece.

All my best,

Nice work... Very cinematic; grows strong in the middle with the brass. Also like some of the rhythmic changes towards the end.. and a very unexpected and unique ending.

Oops, just realizing the fact that it isn't complete. I would like to hear more of the parts that abruptly change rhythmically. You seem to go there... than stop. I would also repeat that middle brass part and increase the amount of "loud" french horn in staccato. Really liked that part. Mix and everything else sounded very good.
    Can't wait to hear more....

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

very good! I enjoyed the harmonies and the detailed execution with gpo. btw: the short violins playing that arpeggio beginning at 0:56....is that gpo? or which library did you use additionally....?

Very nice work!

Some melodic elements reminded me of Jerry Goldsmith, yet it's uniquely distinct.
    Great transitions between tonal/mood changes.

Very Epic in scope, and theatrical in quality. (terrific rendering!)

Wonderful work, Kinvint!

Thanks for the comments, guys. I know what you mean about premature climax (if you'll excuse the phrase!), David. I always get carried away too early in a piece and take it there too soon. But then again I like to contrast that when I try to change the mood. Also, I am trying to tell a story of two people's lives in a short space of time and I don't want to linger in any one part for too long.

Regarding the string arpeggios that were mentioned at 0:56: They actually start earlier than that but I think I know what you are referring to. To answer your question, about 80% of the instruments are GPO but those short bowed strings are from another library. Concert Flute, contrabass, Bones and trumpet are also non-GPO, as well as the timp rolls. Everything else is GPO (clarinet, oboe, some strings, harp, percussion, regular timp hits, French Horn, glockenspiel).

I appreciate all your comments and, as always, make changes based upon people's reactions. It is still a young piece, only about 25% completed.

Thank you all for taking the time to listen.

Penfield (Rochester), NY

That is a really fine work that you have produced. I appreciate that it is not a finished work but you have given it good form and substance. You have fine skills in your rendering of the outcome. I would not worry about early peaks in the work as long as it does not give the feeling that the work is ending 5 minute before it should.

I look forward to hearing this piece as it evolves.

Fantastic. The brass writing was especially powerful. The counterpoint was also quite good.

Yes, as a concert piece, the climax was right at the beginning and where to go? But for a cinematic piece, well, that is up to the story.

Thanks for your comments Gary and YaBacuo.
    The "climax" (as it would seem) isn't actually the climax of the piece...it expresses a moment of joy, triumph and apparent pleasure...which is soon countered by the reality of the situation in the story it tells. The music deliberately becomes more sombre and subdued at this point - to portray the long, hard journey which lays ahead. A character is then introduced here, who is scheming, almost clandestine in nature, with somewhat selfish and evil motives. This mood is quickly rebounded with hope once again...although short lived...which takes us to a moment of tension between 2 people...and that's as far as I've got.

More to come

Thanks all for listening and sending your feedback. I really appreciate it.

Go Back to forum