• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Is anyone using Motu or Aardvark sound cards

Share/Bookmark

Is anyone using Motu or Aardvark sound cards

Hello,

I\'ve been having terrible problems with our Terratec card. My buddy who works out at Sweetwater Sound (call Andy Diekroger out there if you need hardware or software) said the Mark of the Unicorn and Aardvark cards are the only real \"professional\" level cards on the market and advised me to get one of those. Well, ok, but now that I\'ve got a Dman 2044 that gave me twitchy system problems and a Terratec (thank god that\'s actually my roommate\'s, I didn\'t pay for it!) that forgets how to play audio every three days until windows is reloaded I really don\'t want to buy another sound card until I\'m sure I won\'t have stupid compatibility problems.

So here\'s the deal: I\'ve got a PIII 700 on an Asus CUS L2 with the Intel 815 chipset. My roommate demands on-board midi synthesis so right now I\'m using a SB PCI 128 with the pro level sound card to provide that. (I\'m going to test tonight to see if the Terratec will work right without that SB card...). We\'re running Cakewalk 9.02, Sound Forge 4.5c, an old version of Cool Edit, and GigaStudio 2.something (patch).

Has anyone been using the Mark of the Unicorn 2408 or the Aardvark Aark 24? If so, have you had any problems? What type of PC do you have?

I appriciate any and all feedback. I don\'t want to screw up this time. I just want this stuff to work! Easier said than done

Re: Is anyone using Motu or Aardvark sound cards

Hi,

I got the Aark 20/20+. I run Gigasampler 1.64 and Cakewalk 9.03.

I can say that the aark delivers on sound quality in the 20-bit range and I imagine 24 bit will be even more incredible.

Pent III 550
    256 MG RAM
    Win98 Lite to disable Internet explorer

My system is not bad interms of stability. I have to run the Aark 4.74 drivers which are old. But 4.74 is the only aark driver to work with gigasampler. (5.04 works with Gigastudio very well...according to Aardvark)

5.10 driver will be out soon for we gigasampler users and this is supposed to solve some of the instability between Aark and Gigasampler.

We\'ll see.

Thanks!

Hey, I keep seeing Win98 Lite mentioned here... is there a way to do this lite install from a standard win98 original release or Second Edition Cd-Rom?

Can you guys please state your latency? I am looking at Giga for Live work and would love to know what I can expect from the cards you have on your systems

I have the Aardvark Direct Pro 24/96. It runs very well with Gigastudio and Cakewalk Pro Audio 9. The Direct Pro did not used to run with Gigasampler (I don\'t know if the drivers have been updated).

My system is a PIII 850 with 256 Mb RAM and two 30 Gb hard drives.

I don\'t know what the latency of the Direct Pro is. I know I don\'t feel any drag, but I am not a good judge of that unless it\'s really obvious.

Doug Bircher

Hi Guys

I have been using the Aardvark Pro 24/96 and have not had any problems so far. The latency is one of the best as I use Gigastudio to perform professional classical music. I remember that I was scouting around for the best soundcard for my type of work and contacted all the manufacturers on why they say their product performs the best. I got some very interesting answers, but most of the answers I received was boasting with specs, but who do you believe. Each company manipulates the specs and takes the higher average to prove their product. When I contacted Aardvark they were the only ones that stated the specs more realistically, and I felt that Doug Bircher of Aardvark was aware of Gigastudio and how it worked. The reason for choosing this soundcard was: Listening to it at a show. Performed more realistic tones and great for Orchestral and Natural Ambience sound. 2. After purchasing the product I found out that it uses its own processing power to lighten the burden on your cpu.3. Less Irq conflicts as it does not use IRQ. Finally, I play fast classical pieces, and trigger is instantaneous, I have not come across any form of Latency issues. Most of all very stable and reliable. If your looking for a card with stability this I would strongly suggest. I am running Cakewalk 9.06 and have also recently gotten rid of my Hardware mixer as Aardvark is linking My 4 anaolg ins, Outs, my Midi, Speakers, Synthesizers, everything and I can even add panning , Reverbs and other effects.

I have had nothing but success, but then the Soundcard is only the part of it. I bought my PC with Aardvark as a Package deal from Soundsonics. They built me a Pentium 3 733MHZ
    256 MB RAM and my system works great. I am glad I bought the whole system from them and am using the Aardvark Pro 24/96.

I bet you Dave at Soundsonics could give you specs and performance levels on the Aardvark and other cards.
    Their email is soundsonics@netexecutive.com and their phone is 503-999-8305.

There is so much to say for the Aardvark series and I like them as you can get support very quickly if you do have issues you wish to discuss.

Thats my point of view, but dont take my word for it, you should go and listen to this card at a music store or somethin.

Good Luck!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug Bircher:
    I don\'t know what the latency of the Direct Pro is. I know I don\'t feel any drag, but I am not a good judge of that unless it\'s really obvious.

Doug Bircher
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by West (edited 12-09-2000).]

Been using the Aark 20/20+ for over a year now and I really enjoy the built in mixer, gives you lots of flexability. Latency is not an issue, sound is great.

A note about the Motu 2408, Although the Motu includes a mixer it creates latency.

Go with the Aark if you want the mixer, If you need all the Digital inputs of the 2408 then that is where you go.

ucun

Yeah, Doug, I wish I\'d bought mine as a package instead of building it... otherwise guess who\'s responsible for supporting interoperability of the pieces-parts: ME. Crap. Get tech support to the point where you\'re troubleshooting the connections _between_ their product and the rest of the components and software, and guess what... not _their_ fault!

I shoulda had it designed for me.

Just one minor point: I\'m not with Aardvark. I just own the Direct Pro 24/96 and respond to questions about it to the extent of my limited experience. The person I\'ve dealt with at Aardvark is Ben Mullins. Perhaps that\'s who you\'re referring to.

Go Back to forum