• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SID, DFHS or BFD?

Share/Bookmark

SID, DFHS or BFD?

Which lib comes closest to the punchy and crisp Steely Dan kits? I've listened to all the demos and searched various forums but still haven't found my answer. SID, DFHS or BFD?
    If anybody has a sample of a Steely kind of thing, I 'd be grateful for a post.

Rabdaddy
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

Re: SID, DFHS or BFD?

Well, I only have SID - needless to say I love it.

SID comes close to that what you make it - means, SID is finest quality unproceessed, so you can sculpt is in the way you need. The other both offer a variety of kits - preprocessed for different styles - SID offers about one kit with maximized flexibility. For me it is actually more an instrument than a sample lib - that is what I wanted.

hope that helps

best

How about Q-Up Arts' Steve Gadd library?
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

DFHS is NOT preprocessed. It allows total control over every aspect of mixing, including how much bleed is in every virtual mic. The sounds in the Custom and Vintage set would be perfect for the Steely Dan sound. You probably couldn't really go wrong with either it or SID, really, depending on the platform you want to work in. C&V/Superior will give you more drums to choose from, though.

....and SID stands for?

Sudden Infant... No, wait! Scarbee Imperial Drums...

EDIT: I think my favorite drum acronym is the one for Larry Seyer Drums.

BFD with all the expansions is one of the most amazing and professional drumkits library i've ever used

Well, was clear that something like that turns out. I think they are all three fantastic - so it might be a matter of taste, which one to take.

As I already said, I only have SID, so cannot speak for the others. What I love about it is that it offers a limited range of instruments in a wide variety of playing styles. What I do not like that much about it is that it is tied to HALion - so for the AU end it is not that great. HAL is not that bad, not worse or better than Kontakt, it sometimes just feels trashy - especially if use under AU. But as the others are also VIs and no sample libs .....

best

I found SID for $126.34 @ JRR.
    Not XL but a start.
    DFHS is swell but not for me.
    BFD has that terrific interface and control. Lots of kits I'll rarely use and @ $249 a bit pricey.
    Thanks you all for your insight and help.
    Rabdaddy

Edit
    Turns out JRR has a sale on SID. $79.99!
    The Scarbee J-Bass is $69.99
    Just thought I'd share.
    Cheers
    PCaudioLabs DAW - Win XP Home SP2 - Athlon 64 X2 4400+ - 2G - A8V Deluxe Mobo - 80gb EIDE (OS) - 80gb SATA (audio) - 320gb SATA Raid 0 (samples) - Tascam FW1804 - Cubase SX3 - Twin 23" Dell S2309W Displays - Tranzport
    Rabdaddy Studio website

I have not used the others, but I love BFD. All sounds are unprocessed, the interface is great, and FXPansion updates (and adds new features) regularly. There is a way to import SID and DKFH into BFD.

Go Back to forum