• Register
  • Help

Topic: GS service / instability

Share/Bookmark

GS service / instability

Hey, guys.

I'd discovered a couple of months ago that there's a service that auto runs from GS3 that has a tendency to make the PC unstable. I'd been experiencing spontaneous reboots, and when I found and stopped this service, the problem went away. I simply start the service manually any time I run GS.

However, I've recently done some updates to the DAW machine including reinstalling GS3, and have lost my notes on this service. Does anyone know which one it is?

Thanks!
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Re: GS service / instability

You can disable "Monitor File Activity" from the app. Press F2, click the Quicksound tab and uncheck the MFA box. I just leave it off and manually rebuild the database as necessary.

Thanks, Jon.

I also found what I was looking for. Msg32.exe is put under the Run key in the registry, and that's the process that is problematic. I removed the Run key and now just start it manually prior to firing up GS3.

I'll also turn off the file monitoring as well.
    Christopher Duncan
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer
    www.PracticalUSA.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Duncan
    Thanks, Jon.

I also found what I was looking for. Msg32.exe is put under the Run key in the registry, and that's the process that is problematic. I removed the Run key and now just start it manually prior to firing up GS3.

I'll also turn off the file monitoring as well.
    Do you get a warning everytime you start up the system that this service is not running?

I haven't tried it lately (kind of like no longer touching a hot stove), but with earlier versions of GS3, if you tried to shut down the Msg32 process, it would be a guaranteed blue screen. I hadn't considered running it manually.

Then agian, it's been solid on my machine, so I'm content to let it start automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    I haven't tried it lately (kind of like no longer touching a hot stove), but with earlier versions of GS3, if you tried to shut down the Msg32 process, it would be a guaranteed blue screen. I hadn't considered running it manually.

Then agian, it's been solid on my machine, so I'm content to let it start automatically.
    Same here. On occaision I've have a few hang ups starting other software right after the machine is booted. The problems goes away if a give the system a few minutes.

At last, my search is over. I posted the following over at soniccontrol, but no replies (seems a bit dead over there):

Hi folks. After three different computers and two versions of GigaStudio (2.5 - 3.xx) I experience the same frustration of msg32.exe freezing the computer. Even if the computer is idle and GigaStudio hasn't been run. How do I know it's msg32.exe? Because if you disable the autoload of this process, the computer is stable. All three computers - different motherboards, graphics cards, sound cards (RME Multiface, DMX 6 Fire, and recently, FX-Teleport). The only common feature - Intel HyperThreading and recently, a Dual Core Athlon X2. On one particular computer, I disabled HyperThreading and that seemed to help alot, but I believe the latest version of GigaStudio 3 supports both dual-core and HT? My attempt so far has been this.

1. Disable msg32.exe from loading automatically
    2. run imgcfg on msg32.exe to assign affinity to processor 0 (i.e - ensure it runs single threaded)
    3. Only start msg32.exe when I need to use gigastudio
    4. When I've finished with gigastudio, kill the msg32.exe process
    This helps, but doesn't cure the problem. Msg32.exe appears to react badly with Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, Outlook. Yesterday, I forgot to kill msg32.exe and opened Outlook. Complete system freeze.

By the way, I gave up with GS3 and went back to GS 2.5 (partly because I couldn't get Fx-Teleport virtual audio to work with GS3).

I can't believe I'm the ONLY person to experience this freezing problem. Help anybody? Please...

Go Back to forum