• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Up to Speed

Share/Bookmark

Up to Speed

i've been out of audio production for a while and I am now getting back into it. Can some one bring me up to speed.

1. What is the best virtual piano available?
    2. What is the best virtual orchestra available?
    3. What is the best audio production software currently?
    4. What is the best sampler currently? (I mainly want to play the sounds not tweak them)
    5. Best software to lay drum tracks?

I know I will get a range of opinions, but I am interested in hearing them. Any comments would be appreciated

Re: Up to Speed

Quote Originally Posted by marcusd
    i've been out of audio production for a while and I am now getting back into it. Can some one bring me up to speed.

4. What is the best sampler currently? (I mainly want to play the sounds not tweak them)

I know I will get a range of opinions, but I am interested in hearing them. Any comments would be appreciated
    Yes you will get a range of comments and I shouldn't even go here as your net too wide. I appreciate that researching back posts can be dull but it will serve you better as direct questions such as yours only bring out the flag wavers among us.
    It also depends on the type of music you want to produce, e.g. Sampletekks White Grand is good for rock/pop while Black Grand is better suited to classical. It's horses for courses and you need to research this.
    The same can be said for Orchestral libraries, as they have different strengths and you will have very partisan opinions on these.

As for the tools I use MOTUs Digital Performer, NI Kontakt and Battery and they work fine for me. Are you wanting to score to pictures, work in post production, or do you need notation software etc...? Like I said, horses for courses.
    Happy hunting!!!

1. I like TBO others enjoy Ivory and Akoustik
    2. Vsl
    3. Probably Nuendo ( I use sonar)
    4. Kontakt ( Giga is powerful too can be problematic as well)
    5. Do you mean drum sounds or drum machine? RMx probably wins

my $.002

alan

The great thing about the current state of the industry is we have so many options. Basically, no one can tell you what is the best because there are too many choices depending on what you like. Research is key for this stuff. But here are some things to check out:

1. WAYYY too many to pick even a group of them.
    2. The major players are: East West Symphonic Orchestra, Kirk Hunter Symphonic Orchestra, Vienna Symphonic Library, and Sonic Implants Symphonic Collection (not sure if they have a bundle or not).
    3. Major ones here would be: Cakewalk SONAR, Cubase SX, and Logic.
    4. There is only 2 top dogs here as far as I understand, which is Kontakt or Gigastudio, but keep in mind that you can convert Giga libs to Kontakt (except GS3 ones), but you can't do it the other way around.
    5. Not sure what you mean here.

Hope that helps.

James
    "PRODUCER TO ARTIST: I don't care if that grace note on the snare hit in bar 9085 works! This is dub 'n bass acid house penis, not ~~~~ing house dub 'n acid bass penis with a twist!" - Nick Batzdorf

Thanks for all of the replies. I have been out of audio production for about 5 years. I always dreamed of a time where all the instrumentation could be virtual and I am amazed as I get reaquainted at all the options. It is in fact a bit overwhelming, which is why I was looking for the help. Thank you.

1. I have been looking for a piano that could be used for film scoring and simple audio production. I prefer as realistic as possible. I have been listening to Seven Seas and I am really impressed. I have used gigapiano a long time ago and always had favorable impressions of it. I am looking for something that is as close to a grand piano as possible as there are many that will easily work for contemporary music.
    2. I am really impressed with East West and Vienna. My dad has Garritan, but I am not sure if it compares with the two that I mentioned.
    3. I currently use Sonar 4 - thinking about upgrading to 5.
    4. I know Giga has been considered the best for a long time, but I have heard alot of good things about Kontakt. Seriously considering Kontakt.
    5. I know you can lay drum tracks using sample in Sonar, but I have never done it. If there is a program that easily assembles drum tracks using samples, and it is easier to use than Sonar, i would like to look at it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for all of the replies. I have been out of audio production for about 5 years. I always dreamed of a time where all the instrumentation could be virtual and I am amazed as I get reaquainted at all the options. It is in fact a bit overwhelming, which is why I was looking for the help. Thank you.

1. I have been looking for a piano that could be used for film scoring and simple audio production. I prefer as realistic as possible. I have been listening to Seven Seas and I am really impressed. I have used gigapiano a long time ago and always had favorable impressions of it. I am looking for something that is as close to a grand piano as possible as there are many that will easily work for contemporary music.
    2. I am really impressed with East West and Vienna. My dad has Garritan, but I am not sure if it compares with the two that I mentioned.
    3. I currently use Sonar 4 - thinking about upgrading to 5.
    4. I know Giga has been considered the best for a long time, but I have heard alot of good things about Kontakt. Seriously considering Kontakt.
    5. I know you can lay drum tracks using sample in Sonar, but I have never done it. If there is a program that easily assembles drum tracks using samples, and it is easier to use than Sonar, i would like to look at it.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Easiest thing to lay drum tracks might be FLStudio. You can use it as a VSTi. www.FLStudio.com

For me,

1. The Emperor - www.postpiano.com
    2. KHSO Emerald - www.kirkhunter.com
    3. Sonar 5 Producer Edition - www.cakewalk.com
    4. Kontakt 2 - www.nativeinstruments.com
    5. Stylus RMX 1.5 - www.spectrasonics.net

That's what I use and it works wonders.

Mike

1. Cheap&good=Artvista, PMI pianos & Sampletekk (I think you mentioned 7 Seas: I am waiting on my copy. Sounds awesome in the demos.)
    2. Cheap&good= Kirk Hunter, EWQLSO Gold (I have Platinum and Pro XP. I use them constantly) More $ = VSL (I have first ed. but a comparable invest now would be Opus 1 & 2. Kontakt 2 comes with a VSL orch pared down, but usable. The new Vienna Instruments = "$$BOING$$" but extremely nice...)
    3. I am a Mac guy so I use PT, Logic and Digital Performer. Cubase or Sonar for the PC
    4. I never used Giga, but GS3 sounds rock solid if you configure your outboard HW correctly. I use Kontakt and have been generally pleased, although right now I am rebuilding the multis on my sampler PCs to see if I can get the 2.1.1 friggin' update to work-- this too shall pass...)
    5. I use Stylus (killer loops, effects, mixing and RMX import) and BFD with a lot of groove monkey libs. You have to tweak the MIDI in your sequencer, but the BFD sound is divine. Any good DAW will let you step record your grooves--not exactly sure how you are programming.

Hope that helps.

Later

ds

[EDIT: rebuilt the multis in K2 update and everything seems okeedokee ]
    Damon Sink
    G5 Dual 2 GHz, P4 3.8GHz, Logic Pro 7, Digital Performer, EWQLSO Platinum Pro XP, VSL, Kontakt2, Finale

Hey MarcusD ! Are you the guy from Michigan that produced that Italian CD ? I think I have heard of you before. What software are you using now ?

1. Dont know. But the one that to me has the best sound is an oldie 'Art Vistas Malmsj÷'. Technically it's inferior to newer libraries, but its sound is amazing. However it depends on what exactly you want. But Malmsjo is the go-to cinematic piano for me.

2. Vienna Instruments. Thats the next-gen version of VSL.

3. I'll pass on this one. I use Cubase SX3 and its great for my needs.

4. Ironicly its Vienna Instruments - the sampler developed by VSL for their stuff. However you can't import other libraries into it - So for that little feature you would proberbly want Kontakt2. Kontakts interface isn't my cup of tea, but I can't deny that its script capabilities give it quite an edge. Script is a new feature which has been integrated into allowing it to manipulate midi data. That way you can program patches in quite amazing ways. There is a whole community of scriptors puring out fantastic scripts.

5. Stylus RMX.

Go Back to forum