• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Showreel advice

Share/Bookmark

Showreel advice

Hi guys - just wondered if any of you would be kind enough to give me some feedback on my first 'official' showreel. I appreciate honesty, so if you think the whole thing is a pile of steaming arse-deposit, then please gush forth with your frank assessment. Any advice/critique etc would be most welcome.

It's on my spanky-doodle-new internetwebonline site.

Ta muchly

Re: Showreel advice

Wilx, would you have a direct link to the file?

I was not able to connect to the link for "Showreel"
    on your site, despite a number of attempts.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

wilx,

I'm certainly no expert on show reels, this could be the first one I ever listened to (glad to know about them, now, though), but in my opinion it is very good and cannot see (hear) any flaws,

good width or range of some very fine work with smooth transitions. I give it 5 stars.

Regards,
    David

Hey, no hot steamy, pebbly, soft-served, brownie, goodness here. This is excellent. Felt like getting into my car and taking a drive with this music. Extremely cinematic with the classical and modern beat combination... What do you use as far as your sampling library? Like the brass...

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Very well done Just my personal opinion, but I think it's a smidge too long.

Some of the more complex material got a bit muddied up in the mix I think, losing some of their intricate details that I would've loved to hear more clearly. Also, the african "wimbuwe" samples are effective but a little cheesy for my tastes Sounds stock rather than a written part of the piece.

The composition itself however, is top notch! Great job showing a diverse range of styles and sounds. I wish you the best of luck getting folks to hear it

Dang, still could not connect to this -- but I will give it another try later, of course. Probably something on my end, so not to worry, Wilx.

~

Meanwhile... could somebody clue the old guy, here? I'm not familiar with the term "show reel" -- what the music is intended for, and so on.

Thanks!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Wilx,

Pretty neat stuff!!! At the first theme I kept waiting to pan to the left and see the Austin Martin quickly approaching Some great expansive sounds and feelings invoked by it overall.

David...here is the direct link to the music that I am listening to...hope it helps;

http://www.wilx.co.uk/resources/show...un06bounce.mp3

Keep them coming!

Gary

Gary, thanks -- still can't connect on the site, but for some
    reason I could connect to the link you posted. Go figure that
    one out... lol.

~

Wilx,

Glad I got to this, finally! Fascinating work... what a delight
    of different moods and colors and approaches. Throughout,
    I had the sense of kaleidoscopically traversing times and cultures
    and spaces.

A most interesting and effective collage!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Nice work, this definitely shows off your range of skills! I would agree with Cobalt that it might be a bit too long... I imagine if I were looking for a composer for some project and had to listen through several showreels, I may be a bit too impatient to listen to everything available (other wise there'd be no reason to have a showreel in the first place). Other than that, nice job!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

The work is fantastic. Nice mixture of styles and textures. I think I would like the samples to meld into each other a little more... there are some voids in the transitions, and with such a long demo, I think they can be disposed of. I would also prefer it to be at a higher bit rate. the upper frequency clarity is lacking a little (though the bottom end is wonderfully there!). My player says its playing a 112kbps file. That's pretty low for an audio demo. In these days of largely broadband internet, I think 160kbps would be beneficial to you and the listener. If overall file size is a concern, I would try cutting back some of the works.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast