• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 - 3rd Movt.....

Share/Bookmark

Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 - 3rd Movt.....

Bruckner.

About the only thing this man wrote that I like is the "Romantic" Symphony No. 4. I guess 'cause it has such brilliantly-written horn "chorales", especially in the 3rd movt. They may be a little repetitive, but they're still good!!

These "chorales" were a "bitch" for horn-players, difficult to keep together, and especially tough to keep intonation accurate at the same time.

I sequenced this about 6 years ago (according to the original filedates), and at the time, rendered it with 9 different midi-ports - with the LATEST MIDI-Technology at the time no-less. It STILL sounded like ca-ca in some places, so I left it alone.

However, with the advent of GPO, and GigaStudio 3, I've been working on it again for about 2 years, and am now ready to post it for any constructive comments. Heck, you can even post negative comments - it all helps me improve.

Bear in mind - this ting eez beeg, very beeg, about 13 megabytes - HOLY POTATOES!!

Here

Steve

Re: Bruckner - Symphony No. 4 - 3rd Movt.....

Steve you did a superb job here - you got the authentic "Bruckner sound". I enjoyed listening, and the best compliment I can give is that I was drawn in to the music, really forgetting about GPO. You showed considerable grasp of what the piece is all about, with idiomatic phrasing - so well done for what was a big undertaking, but the results made it worthwhile!

Steve,

I love the piece and your rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    However, with the advent of GPO, and GigaStudio 3, I've been working on it again for about 2 years, and am now ready to post it for any constructive comments. Heck, you can even post negative comments - it all helps me improve.
    Since you asked : For me your brass is the most convincing group.
    I sometimes hear an "organ effect" in the winds, and even more often in the strings. More "phrasing dynamics" as I would call them should help.

Do you have more reverb on the strings?

Hannes

Steve,
    I listened to this earlier today and again just now. Wowzer!! This is an excellent rendering. From convincing sounds to a top notch Bruckner interpretation. I know the headaches you must have encountered because I tried to render this a few years with a cheesy hardware synth. I abandoned it. You have done a marvelous job here. My hats off to you and a hearty Bravo!!!
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

What a monumental undertaking!

Excellent job on this, Steve, impressive!

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell
    Bruckner.

Bear in mind - this ting eez beeg, very beeg, about 13 megabytes - HOLY POTATOES!!

Steve
    Steve,

A meer walk in the park for Bruckner Seriously though, my mp3 player is sweating under the sheer weight of the data stream. Dynamite rendition!!!!! Bravo!!!

Gary

Wow - All the nice comments - I should do this more frequently. Thanks folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F
    ......More "phrasing dynamics" as I would call them should help....Do you have more reverb on the strings?
    Hey Hannes - Thanks for the valuable feedback!

On your question, no, not really intended. I render everything with "dry" samples, from in this case, 22 MIDI tracks. At the same time I monitor with Sennheiser HD-650's from an aux bus, with a simple Alesis Wedge to give me some idea of reverb on panning and mixing.

I then take the "dry" 2-channel master, and do the final remix wave file on Soundforge 8 with an "impulse" modified by me, from Cleveland's Masonic Hall.

It's ironic that while the wonderfully-economical GPO strings feature the ability to be very "dry" when needed, some of the much-more-expensive GS samples I use sound a bit "wet" all by themselves with no adjustment possible.

Regarding the "phrasing dynamics", I still haven't quite gotten the hang of the controller that varies repetitive notes. I think it's CC22 and 23.

Steve

Go Back to forum