• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Well apparently, Sony's new software "Generates Fully Composed Music"

Share/Bookmark

Well apparently, Sony's new software "Generates Fully Composed Music"

A friend showed me this article a couple of days ago, and I thought I'd showed it to you all, since you yourselves are composers. I think we might find some interesting views on this.

Sony has announced the release of its new Cinescore automated soundtrack creation software, described by the company as "a breakthrough in professional soundtrack creation, automatically generating fully composed, multigenre, production music perfect for movies, slideshows, commercials, and radio productions." The software retails for $249.00, with an academic version available for $145.00.

According to Sony, Cinescore software includes a broad selection of musical theme packs and styles that can be customized to match the mood and musical genres of a project. Users select a theme pack based on keywords and more, and the Cinescore engine "composes" music that can be shaped based on user input and selections to fit a scene. Sony says each Cinescore theme pack can automatically generate an unlimited number of custom arrangements and variations.

Features of the software include the capability to automatically generate music to fit a specific time, 20 fully customizable theme packs in multiple genres, 16-bit, 44.1 kHz audio, user-defined settings enabling users to create unlimited musical results, "hint" markers to control changes in tempo, mood and intensity, multiple ending types, over 300 sound effects and audio transitions, video scoring track and real-time preview window, audio sweetening track, audio track markers, CD audio extraction to add in additional musical material, volume and pan curves, and more.

Music libraries may be most impacted by the release of Cinescore - Sony markets Cinescore as a way to avoid "clunky blocks of prearranged music" and "complicated licensing fees to drain your budget." In addition, the music generated by Cinescore is advertised by Sony as "royalty-free" which may give the software an advantage over music libraries who charge sync fees or usage fees for individual pieces of music.

Filmmakers and television producers creating original music from musical building blocks including loops and pre-recorded musical elements has been happening for some time now. One of the most high-profile themes created in this way is the theme to the hit ABC show "Alias" which was created by producer J.J. Abrams entirely using "Reason" sample/loop playback software.

As filmmakers create custom music with Cinescore, it is expected that they will claim lucrative ASCAP and BMI writer and publisher performance royalties on the music they create, as they seek to enhance the financial return from films and exercise more control over the creation of score music for their films.
    Here's the product http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/pro...t.asp?pid=1013

For me, personally, the thought of an elecronic robot making music astounds me. A robot could never create anything that is as interesting, or as wonderful as the human mind does. It appears to me as if musical knowledge wouldn't be needed anymore with stuff like this.

Would you consider yourself a composer if you were to make music with this kind of software?
    ♪♪♪♪ CâTå ♪♪♪♪

Re: Well apparently, Sony's new software "Generates Fully Composed Music"

and "complicated licensing fees to drain your budget."
    Speaking as a potential drain, I am mortified!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    Would you consider yourself a composer if you were to make music with this kind of software?
    I'd say audio scrapbookist. To think that anyone would even consider auto-generating music is baffling to me. Shall I auto-generate your camera movements? Your lighting? Your actors?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataclysm
    For me, personally, the thought of an elecronic robot making music astounds me. A robot could never create anything that is as interesting, or as wonderful as the human mind does.
    I wouldn't say that a robot could never create anything that is as interesting or as wonderful as the human mind does... however I believe it is extremely unlikely during our lifetimes. However, this product is nothing to worry about. After listening to the samples on the website, the music is not as nearly as complex or compelling as the music you'll hear right here in the listening room. It wouldn't be bad for background music, but on its own it doesn't sound like anything special. Little complexity, no thematic development, no colorful orchestration, and most importantly, no memorable melodies. It seems all you're doing with this software is choosing and putting together pre-existing themes and variations... boring! Then again, it is for soundtrack creation so its not as if they're really attempting to create anything that remarkable. It may be useful for non-composers who create videos and presentations a lot and want background music quickly and easily. EDIT: This software wouldn't be useful for film soundtracks, where one would most likely desire much more dynamic and thematic music.

I want the Mozart Automatic Symphony Composer... with the Beethoven and Dvorak add-ons...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    I'd say audio scrapbookist. To think that anyone would even consider auto-generating music is baffling to me. Shall I auto-generate your camera movements? Your lighting? Your actors?
    Well, I did make a script in 3ds Max to do that stuff...

I have heard of computers generating Techno music themselves though...
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=40368135
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

This really doesn't surprise. Just the logical extrention of technology.
    V.C. = virtual composers

In today's world, money's always the bottom line. It's too bad.

Jeff

Interesting. One question I have is whether this tool could be used by someone like to me to use my OWN audio files that I create for each project, but use this program to assemble them. The fact that it can easily deal with timelines and cues, etc..might be useful somehow for that type of thing.

The idea that they are trying to sell here is not a new one. Apple already had their Soundtrack product which looks to be similar concept on the mac.
    "Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our utmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets" -- Zoltan Kodaly

Cinescore doesn't auto-generate music from scratch. It needs compositions and themes and a variety of layers that can be added and removed to create the various moods.

This is another opportunity for composers. You can create Cinescore libraries and sell them to Sony, or directly to Cinescore owners.

Companies have been buying/selling stock music for years and years. Cinescore is simply the next evolution in royalty free music libraries.

DigitalJuice does a similar thing with layered music with StackTracxx:
    http://www.digitaljuice.com/products...p?cid=1&pvid=8

I think some people can make a painting by splashing a bucket of paint onto a fan. Some people even buy those paintings for big bucks, which is kinda weird because they could have saved a lot of money if they just bought their own bucket of paint and a fan.

Go Back to forum