• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Stylus RMX and/or EZ Drummer?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus RMX and/or EZ Drummer?

I have a question for users of Stylus RMX and EZ Drummer. I know Stylus is a remix tool and that there are maybe better alternatives for acoustic multisampled drums. Does Stylus and EZ Drummer complement each other well? Or would EZ Drummer simply be put on the shelf as soon as I get Stylus?
    The problem is I want them both but I'm having trouble deciding if it's worth having two drumsynths.

Re: Stylus RMX and/or EZ Drummer?

EZ Drummer is a great product and is better than Stylus for creating natural sounding acoustic drum tracks (and has the groove library, if you don't want to program your own). Stylus covers pretty much everything else you could conceivably want in the world of rhythm. I have both and use both extensively!

Thanks! That was kind of the answer I was expecting.

I agree with Fred that having both Stylus and a dedicated Drum Sampler is the way to go. Since Stylus can be used for the playing back of loops in tempo, and I found I use Stylus for rhythmic type instruments such as tamborine, shakers, bongos, hand drums, etc. Whereas I use Kontakt and tend to buy drum libraries in the Kompakt/Kontakt format so that I can assemble my own drum kit, picking and choosing the kicks, snares, cymbals, hi-hats, etc...whose sounds I like best. So by using Kontakt, I have a more open-ended system for approaching drum tracks and having more control over all the individual elements within the kit.

But using Stylus with some of the SAGE Xpanders allows for some interesting musical results that you would not even have thought of, since you can experiment with layering multiple loops...and all the possibilities are infinite with Stylus as far as that goes.

Then it's settled. Stylus is a must-have for me, and EZ Drummer simply sounds so great and seems very very easy to use for someone (like me) who is not a drummer.
    I think Fred is right. With both Stylus and EZd I should have it all covered, electronic beats and rythmic effects as well as live sounding acoustic drums. I'm just glad EZd is fairly affordable. :P

I don't have EZ Drummer, but I use Stylus's kit mode a lot and its great. Of course, you are limited to the Stylus library. This can be worked around using your own REX files, but it's not that convenient. You can use Backbeat for more acoustic drum sounds too. I use RMIV when I want to use my own drum samples and then use Stylus to embellish it.

Chinmay

I agree with this complementary aspect. But I'd also like to know how many
    of you would give you vote for the EZ, how many for the BFD (expecting you already have the RMX), reasons? Harry

Actually, I would vote for DKFH, EZ Drummer's big brother. Love the sound, especially the cymbals. I use RMX and DKFH and never been happier. EZ Drummer, however is for those who can't, or don't want to program their own acoustic drum tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean
    Actually, I would vote for DKFH, EZ Drummer's big brother. Love the sound, especially the cymbals. I use RMX and DKFH and never been happier. EZ Drummer, however is for those who can't, or don't want to program their own acoustic drum tracks.
    Also, EZ is for people who don't want to worry about mixing the drums from the ground up- I love DFHS but it's like a real drumkit- if you don't put time and energy into mixing you may not have the results you want because it's unprocessed. EZ gives a fat processed sound "out of the box". That's why I've jumped to it for most commercial projects.

(I personally don't care for the sound of BFD at all, but that's just my opinion. But to me EZ really smokes it for the price- BFD costs more than DFHS, doesn't it??)

Yeah that's the thing with EZd. You get good sounding drums faster. And I am one of those who loves quick results (as well as clients).

Go Back to forum