• Register
  • Help

Topic: AND our Survey SAYS...

Share/Bookmark

AND our Survey SAYS...

OK -- What we really need on this site (in my oh so humble opinion) is an highly organized, hardware/software survey and a rating system. Something easily accessible, that quickly summarizes the collective positive and negative experiences of everyone on this message board and that is always current.

Someday, if seen fit, this survey could be built right into the site-- fairly easily at that (IMO)-- into the user profile. Just add the categories-- processor, soundcard, etc. And the ratings (i.e. a scale of 1-10 should be good enuf, with different meanings based on the question at hand). Summary statistics could be calculated at some point, or not. Having a separate category in the BBS for the survey(s) could also work.

But for now, I will just list the categories I feel would be useful, and then post this survey as my own thread, and see what happens. But before I do that I could use some feedback on this whole survey idea.

Now, it seems to me that we all want sort of the same thing-- maximum polyphony, no \'pops\', good sound. It\'s a great product; we just want to be able to use it!!?! We differ slightly of course-- some of us want to run the sequencer on the same machine, some of us want to record audio on the same machine, and some of us want to run standalone. For some of us cost is a factor, for some less so. For some software synths & effects are primo, and others don\'t give a rat\'s yingyang about that cause they prefer external effects and synths. So our goals differ slightly-- and that should be built into the survey-- i.e. what is your goal (with some examples) and how well do you feel that has been achieved?

Personally, I have not yet bought anything, yet I am sure that this product is what I want, based on what I have heard about it on another BBS (www.homerecording.com). I will definitely be buying a stand alone platform/Gigastudio in the next few weeks. However this message board has not yet accomplished in my mind what I was hoping it would, which was to easily steer me in the right hardware/software directions for my needs. After reading many of the threads, I find myself still wondering if anything in particular will work properly and do what I want it to do. And what I want is pretty simple-- I just want the thing to work right.

An organized hardware survey would be also be of great use to those of us who have bought everything already, even those that are greatly satisfied with their purchases. Think of how quickly the hardware/software playing field is changing-- sooner or later you will be in the same boat as I-- looking to buy the next great system, and wondering how much money and time you will waste in the process. Some of us have gained knowledge in setting up their own Gigasamplers/studios because of their own hard labors, or via professional assistance, they now become of the highest value to this community of users-- and this provides an easy way for us to identify who those folks are, and allow them to provide that awesome service to us all-- and who knows, maybe today\'s guru will tomorrow be on the receiving end of that same service.

For those of us interested in upgrading or locating the weak link in their hardware/software chain (i.e. trouble shooting), I believe the survey will greatly assist as well-- they will be able to quickly identify a population of users who share their configurations and who might have solved \"the problem\".

Think about it-- wouldn\'t it be great to have easy access to an ongoing consensus on what really works great, what is so-so and what doesn\'t at all? I am sure that the NemeSys people know all this (from all the feedback they receive from users, as well as their own testing), but cannot disclose this information directly to us, or they will piss off too many vendors.

Anyway, now that I have you all convinced that I am completely bonkers, the categories I have thought of thus far for this proposed survey are:

processor
    chipset
    motherboard
    ram
    other processors
    midi hardware
    hard drive(s)
    sound card(s)
    standalone use?
    recording system - hardware/software
    sequencing system - hardware/software
    overall results (1-10)
    polyphony (# voices achieved)
    click/pops? sometimes?
    sound quality (1-10)
    other problems/comments

Any feedback on any/all of this would be most appreciated. Am I way off base, or would this be something that\'s really useful here?

Regards,

Jerry

Re: AND our Survey SAYS...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jerry Kahn:

processor
    chipset
    motherboard
    ram
    other processors
    midi hardware
    hard drive(s)
    sound card(s)
    standalone use?
    overall results (1-10)
    click/pops? sometimes?
    sound quality (1-10)
    other problems/comments

Jerry
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good idea. However, the number of dimensions in this problem space is great. (e.g., there are at least 20 manufacturers of motherboards.) We need some kind of a matrix or table to make searching and comparing easy.

I would add the following items to you list:

video processor -- I am finding a correlation of video settings to audio pops.

BIOS settings -- turning off USB, memory latency, etc.

MIDI input card -- mine is ISA (don\'t think it is causing a problem.)

My two cents.

Roger

While theyr\'e may be 20 different manufacturers of motherboards there is only one recomended buy most high end audio cards,Asus,mainly due to no internal clock problems.Sonic Foundry did an exaustive survey on video cards and found the Matrox G-4 line to be the least problematic and most compatible with a variety of audio cards.Ram?,Micron seems to be winning that war,Chipset?At the moment it\'s Via kt-133 for Athlon and BX for Intel.It seems Frontier and RME have easily won the war on most solid drivers(GSIF,Asio-1,2,wave ect.) and overall quality with audio cards.H.D.\'s?Western Digital has recently replaced the discontinued IBM Deskstar performance wise unless your going scsi in which case Quantum,IBM,Western digital have been solid.Iv\'e built three systems based on these parts and they all run like Ferraries and that\'s with Giga running with Cakewalk on the same machine.If you have any future tech questions go to www.audioforums.com where many experienced Daw users will answer your questions.

[This message has been edited by Alan (edited 12-28-2000).]

Roger/(not so)clueless--

Thanks, I will add those categories. I agree the problem space is far too great. But I still think a one dimensional list could be helpful. IMO, simple and useful queries could be easily set up against a database stocked with this sort of info-- i.e. \"the audio card most frequently used with the Y motherboard, where the overall system rating is 10 is Z\", or \"in most cases, the most highly rated brand of hardware X is Y\", etc. Even if folks just leaf through the surveys it could prove very useful-- it goes a long way to solve the two problems with this thread format: lack of specifics and incomplete information.

Alan-- Greatly appreciate your expertise. It sounds as though you fall in the \'most highly valued member category\' since you have set up systems that are successful. I checked out www.audioforums.com and it looks like it can really help. Do you think that the survey I am proposing has merit here for Giga users? I just realized that it should probably also include version information for each product listed (i.e. all the specifics).

Anyone Else-- please keep the feedback coming!

Regards,

Jerry

I think your Idea has a lot of merit and I don\'t think it would take as much space as others would think.Yes there are more choices than I indicated but less than most people think as the problems on these forums will attest.For instance,Aark and Echo make great cards as long as you stick with intel and don\'t expect smooth sailing with GSIF and Asio drivers,on the other hand Frontier and RME have has their acts together on this front for some time,what would you invest in?

Thanks Alan. Ok, I have amended the list a little, and the new survey is as follows:

processor (ie PII, PIII, Athalon, etc.)
    chipset (ie BX, Via kt-133 )
    motherboard
    ram
    hard drive(s) (use SCSI?)
    sound card(s)
    standalone use?
    video processor/card/settings
    BIOS settings (i.e. - turning off USB, memory latency, etc.)
    Midi Input Card
    other processors
    overall results (1-10)
    click/pops? sometimes?
    sound quality (1-10)
    other problems/comments

How does this look? Corrections, rewording, any other comments welcome before I attack the masses with it?

-- Jerry

It\'s been a while since I checked this post(very busy) but it looks just about complete,streamlined and to the point.I noticed lately that a lot of people have been complaining about midi hardware recently especially USB and win 2k.So I think you should reserve a spot for midi performance,built in/stand alone/win 2k ect. Iv\'e also seen a lot of people mistakingly complain about thier cards/softwarwe right after a big memory upgrade due to improperly set V-cache.The reason I bring this up is I recently responded to a post with a guy who had an identical system to the one I built for my brother :Atlon/Wave center/390 sdram ect. and the guy was really bashing the card,chip ect.It turns out the card was sharing an IRQ with a Soundblaster,a scsi card,his video card and a network card!!And he didn\'t know what I was talking about when I asked him about his V-cache settings.Some reviews will be subjective.

[This message has been edited by Alan (edited 01-06-2001).]

hey alan--
    Im still here-- got sidelined with a few other issues in setting up shop, namely mic preamps and compressors.

I just stumbled across an ad for a specially made dedicated turnkey hardware setup for Giga advertised in one of the recording mags -- I didn\'t grasp the details, cause I\'ve been so sidelined as I said, this last week. Hear anything about this thing?

-jk

Alan--

WHERE ARE YOU???

We have gotten a lot of responses on the survey (see thread http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/Forum1/HTML/000423.html

So far there are no \"Ferrari\'s\" reported, other than yours. Would you mind filling out the survey yourself-- I am particularly interested in the polyphony/sound quality you are achieveing.

Thanks,

jk

Go Back to forum