• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to create individual note files?

How to create individual note files?

Caveats first .. new to GPO, muddling along with Finale....

I am working on a music education game (in FLash) for our client (NY PHIL) and am trying to produce a 'mini library' of notes in mp3 or aif or wav (apparently midi doesn't work in flash in this context.) and need to create a set of eighth, quarter, sixteens and half notes in about an octave and a half range for trumpet, viola, bassoon and marimba. tempo of 80.

I've been using FInale to create the music, or in this case the individual notes, then saving each out as a separate file. I can pretty easily export reasonable quarters and half notes, (though tedious) but can't figure out how to create small 8th or 16th note files.
    Is there some really obvious way to do this, maybe Finale is the wrong thing) but I don't really know other programs. As an aside, the GPO files for Trumpet are in Bb and I'm using Trumpet in C parts (and can't seem to find out how to use the GPO library with Trumpet in C.)

humbly yours,

Re: How to create individual note files?

I'm not a Finale user so I'll approach this from the MIDI / wav end of things. In whatever sequencer you have available, first look to see how many ticks per quarter note it's set to. For example, in Cakewalk / Sonar, mine defaults to 120 ppqn (pulses per quarter note, if I'm remembering the correct acronyms here).

Once you have this number, you can manually enter in your notes in the sequencer through an event view or piano roll view, e.g. an eighth note would be 60 ticks, a sixteenth 30, etc.

An alternative approach to this, if you don't have a sequencer but have wave editing software like Cool Edit Pro / Adobe Audition, is to record one file per instrument leaving a quarter or half note rest between each note. Save the entire track for that instrument as a wav file, and then go into your wave editing software. Select each note and save it as an individual file.

Seems odd that Finale wouldn't let you export any duration file you wanted, so doubltess someone who knows the software will pop in and tell you how to do it easily from within Finale. If not, though, these workarounds should provide you a backup approach.
    Christopher Duncan
    Author of
    Unite the Tribes and The Career Programmer

Go Back to forum