• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Topic: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    The Passacaglia and its companion Fugue (thema fugatum) represents the art of organ composition in its highest form. Bach composed the work around 1716 while he was in Dresden for a music competition. The 8-bar theme, a sort of chaconne, is repeated a minimum of twenty time. And in full variations, 81 times, I am certain was by no accident a perfect 3 X 3 X 3 X 3.

    The challange of transcribing this monumental organ work for brass choir was significant. It requires a sufficiently large group of instruments (4T, 3H, 3T, 1E, 1B) to not only provide the power due such a work but also allowing the doubling within threads for coloring and trading off parts to help the musician get through a work of 11:30 in duration.

    The transcription was originally created in Encore notation, later ported to Finale 2006 and produced using the outstanding brass available in GPO.

    http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Pass...a%20BWV582.mp3

    Enjoy!

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Well, I am sure you are correct, Bach did not do anything by accident. I did not download your music, because of the incredibly slow connection speed and download times out here in the Redwoods. Many times I have wanted to download music, but the time is truly burdensome. I only do so when time, computer availablity, and internet conditions are in proper alignment.

    I looked over your web site. That is quite an impressive array of work. I wish I had a good connection so I could hear it. Although it might not be obvious from my compositions, I too have great respect for JSB, and recently, it was pointed out to me that it was apparent in my work. Well, I knew that, but I didn't think it so obvious!

    Richard

  3. #3

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Gary,

    You did a really good job on this. I can only imagine trying to transcribe the thunderous organ into a brass choir, and have it coming out sounding good! I heard/saw this piece performed once at a dance concert of all things, and it was fantastic. I still do not understand the relationship between movement and the music, but it brought out something in the music that I just hadn't experienced before. It seemed to be even more dramatic, than with just the music alone, so when I listen to it now, it conjures up that same feel.

    I see that we're neighbors. I live out Brockport/Holley way, though you're on the cultured side of Rochester! Us poor West siders have to travel to get our fill! East of course!

    Char.


    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    The Passacaglia and its companion Fugue (thema fugatum) respesents the art of organ composition in its highest form. Bach composed the work around 1716 while he was in Dresden for a music competition. The 8-bar theme, a sort of chaconne, is repeated a minimum of twenty time. And in full variations, 81 times, I am certain was by no accident a perfect 3 X 3 X 3 X 3.

    The challange of transcribing this monumental organ work for brass choir was significant. It requires a sufficiently large group of instruments (4T, 3H, 3T, 1E, 1B) to not only provide the power due such a work but also allowing the doubling within threads for coloring and trading off parts to help the musician get through a work of 11:30 in duration.

    The transcription was originally created in Encore notation, later ported to Finale 2006 and produced using the outstanding brass available in GPO.

    http://www.garybricault.com/mp3/Pass...a%20BWV582.mp3

    Enjoy!

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member valhalx's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Wine Country, Colorado
    Posts
    1,184

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Gary,
    This is surely one of Bach's greatest achievements and you have done a superb job transforming it. Frankly, you make it sound as though it were written for brass. I hope these transcriptions you are doing find their way into schools and concert halls.
    Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

    My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    ............................
    so when time, computer availablity, and internet conditions are in proper alignment.

    from my compositions, I too have great respect for JSB, and recently, it was pointed out to me that it was apparent in my work. Well, I knew that, but I didn't think it so obvious!

    Richard
    Thanks for your kind comments. I wish you could download the Passacaglie but it is 10Mb. I will visit your site soon and look at your works. I am glad we both hold high regard for JSB.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by Mezzo
    Gary,

    You did a really good job on this. I can only imagine trying to transcribe the thunderous organ into a brass choir, and have it coming out ..................

    I see that we're neighbors. I live out Brockport/Holley way, though you're on the cultured side of Rochester! Us poor West siders have to travel to get our fill! East of course!

    Char.
    Hi Char, Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments. Hmmmm neighbors indeed. I will stop by your site shortly for a visit. You will have to come to one of the Eastman concerts that I have a piece in when it happens. I will let you know then.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by valhalx
    Gary,
    This is surely one of Bach's greatest achievements and you have done a superb job transforming it. Frankly, you make it sound as though it were written for brass. I hope these transcriptions you are doing find their way into schools and concert halls.
    Bill
    Hi Bill,

    Thanks for your comments on the Passacaglia. It is the ultimate in profound organ composition in skill and contents. His other one that I adore it the Fugue in Eb Major (St. Annes Fugue) and triple fugue on the grandest scale. There the theme is repeated unaltered exactly 27 times, 3 X 3 X 3 My concert band arrangement of that was posted in the forum a few weeks ago.

    It lends itself so well for brass. A heard the Eastman Trombone Choir (yep) perform it in an unabridged form a few months ago. They worked so hard that they had to be hosed down afterwards

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  8. #8
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Thanks for your kind comments. I wish you could download the Passacaglie but it is 10Mb. I will visit your site soon and look at your works. I am glad be both hold high regard for JSB.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com
    Well, I downloaded it while doing some household chores. That is probably the best orchestration of any JSB organ work that I have heard. Really good use of the brass, keeps the spirit of JSB. A great job, the only JSB organ orchestration that was more concerned with maintaining Bach in the new setting than using Bach to show off the arrangers ego. That sure was a massive effort, and a grand job!

    Richard

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Penfield (Rochester), NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by rwayland
    Well, I downloaded it while doing some household chores. That is probably the best orchestration of any JSB organ work that I have heard. Really good use of the brass, keeps the spirit of JSB. A great job, the only JSB organ orchestration that was more concerned with maintaining Bach in the new setting than using Bach to show off the arrangers ego. That sure was a massive effort, and a grand job!

    Richard
    Hi Richard, Wow..quite the download. It was a huge effort to take it apart and then fit the instruments back in so that they kept in good ranges and not burn the musician out. Thanks for your gracious comments.

    I visited your site and I am very impressed by what I found there too. Great piano pieces. I few would be fun to orchestrate as well.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com

  10. #10
    Senior Member rwayland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    California Redwoods
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Bach - Passacaglia in C-Minor

    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBric
    Hi Richard, Wow..quite the download. It was a huge effort to take it apart and then fit the instruments back in so that they kept in good ranges and not burn the musician out. Thanks for your gracious comments.

    I visited your site and I am very impressed by what I found there too. Great piano pieces. I few would be fun to orchestrate as well.

    Gary

    www.garybricault.com
    I am wondering which site you mean. The Sibelius site contains about 160 scores, some of which I may withdraw because of phrasing and articulations, and a few that stink. I am gradually adding mp3s of most of them first to the Opera page, then to the other page. First to be added to Opera will be piano and organ. Or so is the plan, but plans and I often part company!

    Richard

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •