• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sharing my latest practice recording...

Share/Bookmark

Cool Sharing my latest practice recording...

Hello All,

Ever since I started using some of the professional music libraries & VIs earlier this year, I've been making recordings of some of my favorite music for practice. I did Beethoven's 6th Symphony and a few others. My latest "practice" recording was of the theme to Apollo 13 by James Horner. I'd be interested in any comments on the recording/mixing.

I'm almost ready to start working on some original work now that I'm used to using the VIs, recording, and mixing

Update:
    Thank you all for your replies and emails! Your suggestions have been very helpful. I went back and made a new master changing a few things. First... yes, I did forget the cymbals. Actually they were there but recorded as snare hits... oops hehe. I rebalanced a little and changed to oboe to the VSL Kontakt Orchestra oboe (sounds much better imho). Thanks again, your comments are very helpful. I just wish I had as good an ear as some of you.

Apollo 13 by James Horner , Recorded by JPG Version 2

Libraries Used:
    Kontakt 2 VSL Orchestra (1 Dbass part, Oboe)
    EWQL Symphonic Orchestra GoldXP (Strings, Flute, Percussion)
    ProjectSAM Orchestral Brass (Bass Trombone, Solo Trumpet, Horns)

JP Garbarini
    http://musicbyjpg.com

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Re: Sharing my latest practice recording...

Hi JPGIII!

Just wanted you to know that I have enjoyed a lot listening to it. I haven't seen the Apollo 13 movie, nor I have heard the soundtrack, but I suppose it matches very well!

I like how the strings sound a lot. Which libraries have you used? I'm starting with orchestral music (very sloooowly, because I haven't too much spare time) and I would love to practice doing mock-ups of my favorite classics and movie soundtracks (Terminator 2, Batman begins, Schindler's list,...) Do you mock-up by ear, or have the scores/midis of the songs? I want to find movie orchestral scores, but I have only found John Williams signature series, and I think they're a bit expensive for me.

Again, I need to say I have had a good time listening, and I'll try to find the original OST to A/B compare both.

Good work man!
    -Dani-

A lot of movie music I just sequence from the sheet music. This one I already had the midi file to. John Williams works can be found in MIDI all over the place. There were a collection of midi files of James Horner music after the release of Titanic but it's been many many many years since I got the collection and don't remember the source

Eep! Forgot to mention the libraries:
    Kontakt 2 VSL Orchestra
    EWQL Symphonic Orchestra GoldXP
    ProjectSAM Orchestral Brass
    JP Garbarini

"A man who is paid to do what he enjoys never works a day in his life." -- Chinese Proverb

Hey, thanks for such a quick reply!

I'm listening to it again. I like it a lot. Did I say I like the strings? hehe. When I first listened to it, I thought the brass was Sam stuff, but I didin't dare to mention (I haven't heard enough music made with samples yet).

Follow like this, and post every piece you mockup for practice!
    -Dani-

Are those trumpet sounds at the beginning SAM trumpets?

Dalek3,

Yes, the trumpet at the beginning and the end is the Bb Solo Trumpet from SAM Solo Sessions.

ZareOne,
    The strings are from EWQL GoldXP. It's the 70pc Orchestra strings patch.
    JP Garbarini

So what aspect of this is the Kontakt 2 Orchestra?

There virtually no VSL in there actually ... There's 1 moving double base line that I used the Bass Ens 6 (sustain X) patch for. At one point I had a harp in the piece but I took it out of the final mix because it just didn't seem to fit. I'll post which instruments I used from which library at the top of the thread.

I was going to use the French oboe from VSL too because I wanted to practice the mixing but I got lazy and used the EWQL one. I'm doing a second pass at the mix and I'm going to try the VSL Oboe.

Edit: Version 2 has the French Oboe from VSL. Hopefully the reverb I added matches the rest of the piece. It's interesting trying to mix all these instruments from different libraries
    JP Garbarini

Go Back to forum