• Register
  • Help

Topic: Van Cliburn International Piano Competition...

Dallas, TX

Van Cliburn International Piano Competition...

has been renamed. The program at TCU has changed the name from TCU/Cliburn Piano Institute to PianoTexas, International Academy & Festival...

Which is OK i guess, but I think that unfortunately that means the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition will be renamed as well, to something like PianoTexas International Piano Competition.

I don't know maybe I'm just an old conservative, but to me it just don't seem right to change the name.

Do you think they should or shouldn't change it, or does it matter?

Re: Van Cliburn International Piano Competition...

Nah. TCU is some 20 miles down the road. The Van Cliburn Foundation owns the competition lock, stock, and barrel. This piano school just used Cliburns name

From the article:

Having seen the worldwide focus on hopeful professional pianists during the Van Cliburn International Piano Competition, Ungár believed the addition of an educational component was a natural fit.
    If you go to the www.vancliburn.org, the competion is pretty much still his.

Re: Van Cliburn International Piano Competition...

I like "The Van Cliburn Piano Competition" as he is one of our pianoforte heroes winning the competition in Russia at a time when Americans weren't very well received. Shows that talent can trump politics.........

Hope they keep the competition as is.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum