• Register
  • Help

Topic: The iPod People

Share/Bookmark

The iPod People

They use to call the TV the boob tube. Politics aside, are these new electronic gadgets creating a society of ignorant, consuming driven masses instead of informed, responsible citizens.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/oreilly060506.asp

Re: The iPod People

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    Politics aside, are these new electronic gadgets creating a society of ignorant, consuming driven masses instead of informed, responsible citizens.
    Is that a serious question?

R.

While there are ignorant people in the world, there always have been and always will. What changes is what we blame it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt Katze
    While there are ignorant people in the world, there always have been and always will. What changes is what we blame it on.
    What is changing is the ratio of an informed vs uninformed populous.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    They use to call the TV the boob tube. Politics aside, are these new electronic gadgets creating a society of ignorant, consuming driven masses instead of informed, responsible citizens.

http://jewishworldreview.com/cols/oreilly060506.asp
    Bill O'Reilly, complaining about people being uninformed about the issues, and websites having "no editorial standards." It seems to me that O'Reilly's entire schtick depends on people not being informed, and as for lack of editorial standards and rank propaganda...

As for the "internet headlines that barely skim the surface", this seems to me to be a characteristic of most modern newspaper reporting as well. If people can't recognize that a particular website lacks "editorial standards", perhaps it is because they've been watching too much Fox News...

The devices are not at fault. Better to ask why people are "tuning out" (to the extent that is or isn't true). I suspect it results more from people being highly disillusioned: watching our government still trying to dispute global warming, as glaciers recede at record pace; sending troops to die for Haliburton; stealing elections; etc.
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

When Al-Zarqawi died, news networks just repeated the same news for hours so that when people just tuned in, they'd know. However, after the first five minutes you'd pretty much get all the facts they had. And then of course they have to discuss the news with people who tend not to have much to say. And then when that's all said and done, people are more concerned about how biased the news station is, how wrong and corrupt the opposing political party is, etc. As if that were anything new. News stations and many newspapers don't just deliver news, they deliver their opinions and analysis, helping you know what to think about the news, which is sometimes their most important goal. Other times they'd rather just entertain you by showing some nice lively debate that's probably not going to change your mind about anything, but if it goes well you'll get angry at somebody and agree with somebody and want to watch again. Or of course you could head over to Comedy Central where Stewart and Colbert will purposefully act stupid and make fun of everybody in the news so that you can feel a bit more at ease.

Anyway, I can't really say how gadgets have affected the informed ratio of the American youth population because I really haven't lived long enough to see any dramatic changes. (I know college homework made me less informed while in school, they should do away with that.) Perhaps America's youth is not just becoming less informed, but dumber in general due to all the gadgets... they don't stimulate and exercise the mind enough. However, it's not hard to see the trends in the news media world.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum