• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I'm thinking about starting over.....

Share/Bookmark

I'm thinking about starting over.....

I think it's been two years, maybe three, I'm not sure, since I bought my Dell, Cubase, and dove into all of this fun. THe Dell has been great. It's treated me really well. But I think I'm getting to the point where it's time to clean out the registry by way of reformatting my C drive. A couple of years of browsing the internet, kids playing games, and everything else that I do with it, it's starting to show it's age. I recently upgraded to SX3 from 1.06. I've had some buggy problems with SX3 and occasionally just wierd stuff in general. Can anyone tell me where I might find a tutorial on how best to go about reformatting my PC and how best to prepare for it. I know I need to make sure I have all my drivers for my soundcard and midi interface. Also and perhaps most importantly, my modem and router so I can get back in touch with the world and get all my updated drivers for everything. Any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks.

Eric

Re: I'm thinking about starting over.....

Also make sure you have the lastest drivers for your video card! And of course, back up all data files/sequences... sounds like you're pretty much good to go!

(You've been doing music production on a general use pc for two or more years?? That's amazing )

Also check out which parts of your motherboard are natively supported by Windows. I recently reformatted and deliberately stayed with the original release of XP because it's been working for me and I don't want to risk the service packs introducing new problems.

What I hadn't realised was that WinXP didn't initially contain USB2.0 drivers, so I had to hunt them down at the ASUS site.

(You've been doing music production on a general use pc for two or more years?? That's amazing )
    Yes, believe it or not, my computer is the little Dell that could. I've been very proud of it. GPO was the first VSTi that I bought and I could load and run about thirty plus tracks with it using my Tascam US-428 sound card on a USB 2.0 port in Cubase SX. I'm really scared of the reformat thing because once I start, I have no way to get online to talk to someone to bail me out of the mess I create.
    I installed the service pack 2 update for windows when it came out and everything worked great so I'll do that again I'm sure. The only things I'm not sure of are the drivers for my USB card and my modem. I have to find those I guess. Thnaks guys. If you dont see me for a week or so, I'm probably pulling out my hair somewhere in the cornbelt in front of my PC.

Eric

Don't forget to check for and load the drivers for the chipset / motherboard.

Don't forget to check for and load the drivers for the chipset / motherboard.
    Is that going to be on the Dell CDs that came with the computer? At what point do those come into play in the reinstall? Now I'm getting worried.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    Is that going to be on the Dell CDs that came with the computer? At what point do those come into play in the reinstall? Now I'm getting worried.
    Why dont you make the mirror of your hardisk, if something goes wrong, you can simply get back to where you were.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Eric,

If you had a couple of machines in your studio, you'd be fine to go...you could access the internet with another box.

So...

If you have the cash at the moment, I would strongly suggest just buying a new C drive. Why? Because if you get in trouble and need to get back to a working machine, you can just stick the old drive back in, and get what you need.

After a few weeks, if everything goes smoothly and you're sure you have not neglected to harvest off some little file from the old drive that you need, you can reformat it and use it as a backup or spare.

If you have the cash at the moment, I would strongly suggest just buying a new C drive
    This sounds like a good idea. Do I just power down, remove the current Drive, and then install the new one from scratch then?

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins
    This sounds like a good idea. Do I just power down, remove the current Drive, and then install the new one from scratch then?

Eric,
    Is it within reach to buy a new PC? Might be a better option.
    Decent size HD, generous RAM, and a fairly quick CPU isn't going to set you back so much these days. There's always discussion here and elsewhere about 'big rigs' and fancy gear, but there's a lot to be said for a fairly modest machine too, that doesn't break the bank, and gives you a lot of enjoyment in the process. If you play it carefully you can probably pick up a decent size screen for a modest budget as well.

And you can 'dedicate' it to music, instead of a catchall.

Best of luck with this whatever you do,

Alex

Go Back to forum