• Register
  • Help

Topic: Pulsar+Gigastudio (Question for LHong)

Share/Bookmark

Re: Pulsar+Gigastudio (Question for LHong)

dear GigaDiga,
    I think the problems what you got would be your \"ATA33, pII 400\", maybe too low/slow for the pulsar II and Gigastudio, nothing to do with the pulsar and Giga. You\'ll probably need the PIII or athlon 800Mhz-512Mb and multiple hard-drivers (66@7200). It would be right time to upgrade your PC at the price-wise. I used to have the athlon 750Mhz-320/512Mb-66@7200HDx3 system, It works with pulsarII+pulsarI about 20~32 output giga-channels, 16 MIDI-CH, 100~159 voice polyphony without the pop and crackle problems. Remember\" more Outputs, less polyphony and less outputs more polyphony\"
    Well, something you can try:
    Giga and Pulsar: From pulsar project to reduce the GSIF-CH to minimal like 2~16 (try 2 first), ULLI=13ms. Repeat these steps, to make sure what is your PC limited to.
    Giga: Start the giga must be after pulsar with the GSIF device, if you make any chances on the pulsar, you need to re-start it! Set the output channels to match with the GSIF on pulsar (2 to 16). Repeat these steps to, to see how it works with/without pops and clicks in same polyphony. Of course, the gigasampler would works better on the slow-PC (no crackes) but on the faster-PC, the gigastudio is better (more polyphonies, more features, richer sounds, etc). For the completed mixdown with the effects and danamic processing (pulsar DSP), you probably need two pulsarII boards.
    I have some little mixdown song \"Oct 16, ©2000 LHong\" that was used gigastudio and two pulsars on this site: http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/Music.html

Tell me what you think? Just a litle testing, I\'m working on the Scope-SP (new product from Creamware), the projects about 48 multi-tracks, having some problems on the Scope-SP mixers (not giga) need to be solved by creamware tech-support.
    Anyway, giga and pulsars should work fine!
    Hope this helps,
    Long

Pulsar+Gigastudio (Question for LHong)

Hi LHong,

As a Pulsar2 owner I have just read, on Creamwares forum, that you have found problems with Gigastudio and Pulsar. I am currently trying to use them and am finding the performance between them poor. At most I can get something like 30 voices before the signal starts breaking up with pops and clicks. Agreeably this may be more to do with my old computer setup which I am using (ATA33, pII 400, etc) but I was just wondering if your getting on okay with the Pulsar.

Does it work any better with Gigasampler? Is it worth reverting?

your advice/opinion would be much appreciated...

peace

gigaDiga

Dear LHong,

Thanks for a great reply. I think you\'re right... it\'s time I upgraded my system.

That\'s interesting though... I didn\'t realise there was a par off between outputs and polyphony. I will try reducing the outputs to a minimum (6, I think any less and the Pulsar does not register as a GSIF device).

Both Pulsar2 and Gigastudio are great things aren\'t they. It would be cool to get them working well together.

peace

gigaDiga

As you said:
    \"I will try reducing the outputs to a minimum (6, I think any less and the Pulsar does not register as a GSIF device).\"

It should works when the GSIF is set to minimum of \"2~8\" as well, make sure to use the \"Page-up and Page-down\" on the key-board with GSIF-pulsar-device setting. Then in the Gigastudio, you must re-assign the mapping Giga-mixer channels, that\'s all.
    Well, I see most of users here are susessful with the SB-LIVE which only has two giga-output-CH with the optimization at high-voice-polyphony because of this. Simple reason is with more giga-output-CH, let say 32-CH on the pulsars, the giga must works harder in order to synchronize all individual 32-CH streamming data which are compared to only 2-CH (32/2=16 time more). It\'s meant that Giga-program must uses more resources in same the CPU and memory, where are your MIDI-audio-Seq and pulsar-DSP also being shared in the realtime-processed-Recording, that\'s explained that where\'s problem (pop, click, crackle) came from and why you need more power on your DAW.

You also said:
    \"Both Pulsar2 and Gigastudio are great things aren\'t they. It would be cool to get them working well together.\"

Well, you might forget one other program like MIDI-audio-Sequencer (Cakewalk, Logic, Cubase) need to deal with, and this program has two internal programs need to work \"side-by-side\". How they work? when the MIDI-program sends MIDI message commands, in order record to audio-tracks, they must be traveled to Gigastudio -> Pulsars -> ASIO/WAVE. So, you should be very experty in the PC setup to let them work together without any problems. It means all the setup must be customized very precisely to meet all individual requirements (both software and hardware setups) and you have total of four programs need to work with, don\'t forget that! I see someone even have only cakewalk and SB-live (no other programs) still got same pops, click or synchronization problems, why?
    Anyway, just a practical thought, more problems more learning...They (giga and pulsar) should work fine!
    Hope this helps,
    Long

Go Back to forum