• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Concerto Project - Part 3a

The Concerto Project - Part 3a

Here's the latest excerpt in my realization of my Second Piano Concerto.

Concerto excerpt 3a

(Part 3 follows directly after Part 2.)

This is a mock-up of the second theme group. There are a few winds for color, but it is mostly for strings, and I'm planning to concentrate on getting a good string tone that I can carry into the rest of the concerto.

This version is done with GPO and the PMI Bosendorfer. Next I'm going to try it with GOS, then a blend of various string libraries, and see how they all go together.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Thumbs up Re: The Concerto Project - Part 3a

Just absolutely GORGEOUS.......The GPO strings are outstanding and the composition is awesome. I have to admit I have heard a lot of pianos on this forum, but none like the Bosendorfer your have provided.

If it was me, I would go with what you have in this excerpt. It is really magnificent to my ears.

That you for letting us hear a really good piano concerto in progress.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Re: The Concerto Project - Part 3a

Excellent writing, Mr. Dan...excellent! (I sound like Mr. Burns on The Simpsons.)

The piano sounds great and so does your music. Let us hear more.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Larry G. Alexander

Fine work on the rendering on this Dan (and the composition
    is, of course, as Jack said, drop-dead gorgeous writing).

Looking forward to more of this -- these excerpts and exercises
    in realization are, I think, most useful to a great many of us!

My best,

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Very fine writing and rendering. The continuation will be very interesting I am sure. Please post it as it becomes available.

Really nice stuff, Dan; there were definitely some movie theme-ish moments that seamlessly slid back into total concert orchestral scoring. REALLY like this!

Thanks, everyone. Part 3b will be the GOS version. I've started it, but since my parents are coming for a visit, it may be a few days before I can wrap it up.

Part 3c will be the GOS version layered with various solo strings, including GPO, XSample, and Kirk Hunter. I've been curious to see how GSSV would sound as the concertmaster of a large section. Very soon, we will all know!
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Very nice writing. Lush and romantic. The realization sounds very authentic to me. Keep 'em coming!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum