• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Lots of instruments w/o overloading CPU...?

Share/Bookmark

Question Lots of instruments w/o overloading CPU...?

I finally got around to working on a project again...it's for my mother's birthday, which was Tuesday...

Anyway, I actually did a lot of doubling of lines and giving two parts to the same instrument this time (give me a break, I'm learning as I go!), but that means that when I take the MIDI file from Sibelius, open it in Sonar, and assign EWQLSO Gold instruments to all of those parts...my CPU isn't very happy. I spent three hours this afternoon simply going over each part soloed and lowering the available voices for each to just above what was needed just so I could LISTEN to the whole thing without it popping all over the place. Even so, sometimes the cursor forgets to follow as it plays, and it was sometimes showing CPU usage at 83% or so. Any suggestions? Do I just have to split all of the parts into tracks according to lines so that I can assign three instruments to one channel and settle it that way? It would be something of a pain, since the doubling changes and isn't always exact...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

Rosie

Re: Lots of instruments w/o overloading CPU...?

How much RAM do you have?

CPU specs?

ASIO latency?

Hard drive speed?

DFD settings?

All of these things can affect performance.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Also, make sure your Kompakt player for EWQLSO is updated: earlier version had more pops, etc. and were less co-operative with Sonar's freeze. Later updates remedied much of that.

Sorry for interfering, but is Cubase SL 2.0 able to freeze midi tracks? I'm running it on a computer that is a few years old and I'm afraid that it will not handle many midi tracks at once when I finally get to play around with my newly purchased EWQLSO Gold.
    If so, then exactly how do I freeze tracks?

Um....
    AMD Athlon 64 Processor 4000+
    1.79 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM
    Preload buffer size: 192.00 KB
    Voice Buffer Size: 384.00 KB
    Reserved Voices: 170
    Mem. Total: 63.75 MB

...freeze tracks? I only learn stuff about these programs as I need it, because I lack the patience (and time) to go clear through the manual and because I probably wouldn't recognize how most of it applied till I needed it anyway.

You may think I am crazy to suggest this, but I take my chances...
    Make your project as loaded as you wish. In Sonar, divide your tracks into 2 0r more chunks and record ONLY one of the chunk, archiving the rest of the tracks, so Sonar is not working on them and not sending any MIDI data.( Just Muting them does not help, they are still active as far as Sonar knows) Then do the same with the rest of the chunks the same way. You can replay in Sonar the audio chunks together, recording one audio file from them.
    Good luck:

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Rosie
    ...freeze tracks? I only learn stuff about these programs as I need it
    Ahem...if you are getting CPU overload because of too many instruments playing back I think you do NEED to learn about freezing...

Which version of Sonar are you using. You need Sonar 4 or 5 to be able to freeze tracks. This is a very easy feature to learn so spend the couple minutes reading the manual. I usually freeze piano, harp and timpani tracks which have a tendency to use high amounts of polyphony and CPU.

Another option you have if you have an earlier version of Sonar is to use the Bounce to Tracks function. Then archive the tracks that you bounced to free up CPU as Ted mentioned.

Jim

Hrm...I have Sonar 4, and using the index, I have located the section on freezing tracks, since I now know it exists. When I have time, I'll try it out...thanks a bunch for your advice!

Go Back to forum