• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using a separate DAW for mixing only?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using a separate DAW for mixing only?

I am beginning to think about having a separate DAW for mixing. I don't like to have my mixer setup and all the plugin settings in the same project as the Midi tracks. I prefer to have a separate mixer setup, that is more related to the templates for my GigaStudio PC's than to a particular music project. In hardware terms: I'd prefer to have a fixed, optimized mixer for my "orchestra".

So I am thinking about "scoring" with my current DAW PC (still running Logic 5.5) and to add a separate DAW to be used as a mixer only (SX3), using MADI to receive all the outputs from my current and future sample PC's.

I wonder if anyone else is using this approach? I believe that professional composers (e.g. at MV) often use ProTools for mixing, separately from their sequencing DAW.

Curious about your comments!

Cheers,

Re: Anyone using a separate DAW for mixing only?

A couple of us are still using PARIS for mixing, mainly because the mixing bus is the the next best thing to a Neve or SSL. (It "adds" something to the mix, whereas some other programs are more "pure".) Typically, I'll use a couple lightpipe connections from external computers into my PARIS rig, but I also know at least one guy who is using MADI and a lightpipe converter to connect to his PARIS rig.

I also know another guy who uses Sonar for programming and Nuendo for mixing. Seems like there are as many different solutions as there are people...

You want to mix online or off line ?

I ‘score’ in Nuendo but master off line in Samplitude for CDs, on the same OS now (no dongle incompatibility, finally).

I use also this : http://www.hyperossystems.co.uk/0704...s2004Feproduct

...which permits to do the same on a separate OS, if needed.

No need to buy a separate PC if you mix only off line (audio files only)...

Peter:

MADI networking sounds interesting to me too. Seems like it would be better to use standard optical sc ethernet patch cords for 56 or 64 channels at a pop rather than 8-channel adat feeds which is the alternative. I know RME has MADI a plenty but I don't know anyone whose gone with it yet. It does seem to be showing up on more gear lately:

http://www.synthax.com/MADI.html

Seems like it would be a natural for connecting a dedicated sample engine machine to a dedicated daw machine. And maybe even a dedicated plugin machine.

Howard

If you're interested in MADI you might also like to check out the Sydec range:

www.sydec.be

This is what used to be Soundscape. Top rep for performance and reliability.

Not cheap though.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRoos
    I am beginning to think about having a separate DAW for mixing. I don't like to have my mixer setup and all the plugin settings in the same project as the Midi tracks. I prefer to have a separate mixer setup, that is more related to the templates for my GigaStudio PC's than to a particular music project. In hardware terms: I'd prefer to have a fixed, optimized mixer for my "orchestra".

So I am thinking about "scoring" with my current DAW PC (still running Logic 5.5) and to add a separate DAW to be used as a mixer only (SX3), using MADI to receive all the outputs from my current and future sample PC's.

I wonder if anyone else is using this approach? I believe that professional composers (e.g. at MV) often use ProTools for mixing, separately from their sequencing DAW.

Curious about your comments!

Cheers,
    I have a separate system for Sequoia.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

I do...... here is my setup -

3 PC's with RME Hammerfall DSp 52/96's running 24channel's ADAT Out
    (1 Sonar (Virtual Instruments) & 2 Giga PC's)

Into

1 Mac G5 running Protools 7.1 w/ (5) 192's using all ADAT inputs. - Procontrol

Works awesome! Especially for writing. I have all the outputs of the PC's running into seperate inputs on Protools when done writing just hit record on Tools - 72 tracks! Start mixing... Not the cheapest route...but rock solid when you need to bounce between projects and crank out cues like crazy.

Rob King

Along the same lines of using something different to mix, how many of you guys are using a summing box to mix?

I know...I know.... It entirely different then mixing on another DAW, but it's related to the topic.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I sequence in SONAR or ACID, but generally mix in Vegas.

Same as Bruce. Almost. I sequence in either energy-XT or ACID, and then mix in Vegas.

-Tom

Go Back to forum