The second summary exercise has lots of parts so it would require some work to produce the score. Unless someone asks I'll avoid that work.
In summary exercise 2 I used 2-octave doubling, with violins I on top, violins II and violas at unison in the middle and cellos on the bottom.
It took me a while to understand that the summary exercises are a study in how a melody can change character, depending on context and orchestration: quiet vs. heroic. It took some extra effort to find a melody that worked for both. Very nice exercise!
Melody in triple octaves, thus: Violins I, Violins II, Cellos, Basses. Because of the range, I couldn't find anywhere to put the violas that sounded good, so I gave them a little rhythmic figure instead.
Here I stuck pretty close to suggestions. Violins I in lower thirds, with violins II doubling an octave below. Flutes double the 1st violins, and clarinets double the 2nd - though the clarinet part is somewhat simplified, to allow the violins to weave in and out of it a bit. It's subtle, but a nice effect I think.
This exercise beat the crap outta me. I'm not a music major and my theory is weak - add that to the problem of the violin's range and the funky key, and I spent hours counting on my fingers over and over again to make sure I had the intervals right. The final solution has the 1st violins starting a 6th below the cellos, and then the 2nd violins enter at the end of the 3rd measure, resulting in both 3rds and 6ths. Except they trade it off... it's complicated. I haven't posted sheet music for most of my stuff because I'm using Sonar Home Studio which is useless for producing a score, and Finale Notepad, which is better, but very limited. Here, I felt the extra work was definitely warranted. I'll provide score for any of my other exercises by request.
First violins carry the melody alone - and in a very similar direction to Steve, I must say. I did listen to his exercise once, but a few days before I did it myself. I like to think the music naturally drew us that way, and it wasn't a lack of creativity on my part.
I definitely agree with Steve about the direction of the two halves of the exercise, and the "pastoral" quality of the first versus the "heroic" quality of the second. Actually, my fiance immediately commented that my melody sounded a lot like film score, and I have to admit it reminds me a little of Star Trek. Or, at least, like any of Jerry Goldsmith's more romantic scores from the 60s and 70s (Star Trek, The Blue Max, etc.).
Version 2, and sounding even more like space opera. Melody in double octaves - Violins I, Violins II/Viola, Cello. I originally tried placing the violas in unison with the cellos, but it was too heavy. The power is in the middle, with the 1st violins soaring on the top, and the cellos subtly anchoring the bottom.
Thanks for listening, this is a lot of fun (and very helpful!). I'm trying to catch up as fast as I can.